1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Freedom Z with Briggs 26hp or Kawasaki 19?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sbrogan78, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sbrogan78

sbrogan78 LawnSite Member

I know the Kawasaki has a better reputation but the Briggs they put on this machines seems to be a good engine also. The Kawasaki is a lot smaller engine then most machines this size have on the. Is the 19 enough or should we lean more towards the 26?

STEVE'S RI LawnSite Member

mine is a 19 and has more than enough power
  3. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

4. nmoysaenko

nmoysaenko LawnSite Member

What deck size are you going to be using?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. 2001FZ1

2001FZ1 LawnSite Member

If the price was the same, I would go with the Kawasaki.
    I have the Brigs with 2 years of use and have not had an issue. The neighbor is running the Kaw and his is fine also. He doesn't go through the fuel as quick though...
  6. sbrogan78

They have a 52" with the Briggs for the same price as the 48" Kawasaki
  7. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

I am a home owner but wanted a commercial machine and bought a 2009 Scag Wildcat. At the time I was shopping I test drove the Scag 48" Tiger cat but I don't know what engine was in it (that was a few years ago). At that time I had my heart set on the Wildcat but looking back that Tiger Cat would probably have been ideal for my size yard. My yard is a little over an acre (300 X 150).

I have the 26hp kawasaki Liquid cooled but I bet the Briggs would be a good motor too. I think they are making them better now and you never know when you could use a little more HP.

8. sbrogan78

I mow about 2.5 acres
  9. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

I guess you have to pick the one you like the most.
  10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

My lawn is that or maybe a little larger but I would go for a little bigger machine. Mine is the Tiger Cat 52 with the Kawasaki. I've been a Briggs guy on smaller mowers but really like the Kawasaki for more substantial tools. Plus, it's orange. Tn you know.