1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SCag Freedom Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hawkshot99, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I am new here with a few questions.

I am in the market for a new mower. I was looking at walk behinds mainly because of cost. At the county fair today their was a Scag Dealer who had a bunch of models. He had a Freedom Z their with a 52" deck and 26 Briggs and Stratton engine on it for $5100 Fair special price.
    With a price like that it is right around or just above the walk behinds I am considering. My worry though is, is it a high end homeowner, low end commercial. I don't want a mower that will be severely beat real soon, so what is the deal with this model?

Thank you guys.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

The following is a quote from the link that you posted:

"The Freedom Z is primarily designed for entry-level commercial use and estate / consumer use."
  3. Hawkshot99

Would around 15 lawns be considered more than entry level?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It would hold up without a break down the bumps and rough service tears any mower up.
  5. paperdad

paperdad LawnSite Member

I was just searching the fourm for the Freedom Z & found your post.

I just bought one (48", 19 hp Kawi) and I love it with 25 hours so far. I also got the rear bagger for it, although I was told a side bagger from the walk behind would also mount on it. I did go back to the dealer with a concern that the bagger hose was rubbing/wearing through against the back wheel. The dealer fixed it by installing a bracket to hold the hose up and away (not sure if it came from Scag, or he fabricated it, but it works perfectly). It gives a great cut, and for my needs (12 lawns) it is just the right size.

The only minor problem so far is when cutting heavy wet grass, the hose will clog up as the bagger does not have a spindle driven blower. This is a very minor concern, as the speed and cut quality more than make up for the few times a week I have to stop and unclog the hose.

My previous rider was a used Scag Super Z 48".
  6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont do it. Get a tiger cub. The extra grand is more than worth It. The better deck alone is worth the extra G, much less the better blade spindles, Better deck lift system (no cable), among others. Also you can get the turbo driven bagger for the tiger cub but the freedomz can only take a deck mounted hopper.
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Just look at the fact that there is absolutely no grease zerks on the mower. That should give you an idea of how it will hold up.

I love scag but that was not one of their better ideas.:nono:
  8. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do it man! Go at least Tiger Cub like KTO Enterprises stated or get the commercial grade wb you wanted. Non-greaseable spindles and 87 ft/lb clutch???? Tiger Cub way, way better machine. I'm a Scag fan, but not on this one. Don't waste money trying to save money. Good luck.
  9. Hawkshot99

I removed it from the running because of the number of trees I mow under. I bought a Exmark Viking today instead.:cool2: