Scag Fuel Shutoff Position

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by buzzard86, Mar 17, 2008.

1. buzzard86

buzzard86 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

Very basic question here. Can anybody tell me in which position the shutoff valve on a Scag actually cuts off fuel to the carb? I'm trying to troubleshoot a slow but persistent fuel leak. I'm losing gas but I can't tell from where (ie no visible remnants or wetness, just empty tank after sitting for a few days.) My plan was to cut off the fuel supply to see if the I could isolate the problem to the seal on the bottom of the tank, but I can't seem to get the engine to cut off regardless of the position of the selector.

I believe that my fuel shutoff is original... it's a little red lever. Options are either pointing toward the ground or pointing at the operator.

Appreciate your help.
    JIM

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

well what way was it before? the oposite of that is off. make the lever at a 90 degree angle to the line itself i would bet thats off. on all my scags it is

3. buzzard86

from Philly

Well, it was half way between. :) I presume that it takes a few minutes to burn off the fuel in the carb bowl but I just can't get it to quit. Do you see an almost instant shut off of the engine? Wondering if my cutoff valve may be bad and/or the source of my leak.

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

It'll take a few minutes. If it was 1/2 way, it would allow enough fuel through to carry no load idle at least. Try one way, then the other for 5 or 10 minutes, that'll be plenty of time to empty the carb out.

5. buzzard86

from Philly

Thanks, I didn't realize that it might take that long to burn off the fuel in the carb. I'll put it one way, let her run, go get a beer and see if it shuts off. If it doesn't quit after 10 minutes or so, I'll put the lever the other way, go get another beer, and repeat the process.

6. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How about just take the line off at the fuel filter and move the lever until the flow of gas stops.

James

7. IA_James

from Iowa

I started to tell you to do exactly that but didn't want to sound like a rummy.:laugh:

8. IA_James

from Iowa

I guess you could do that, but it wouldn't allow any time to drink beer.:nono:

9. buzzard86

from Philly

Yeah, and I have to go out for dinner and am trying not to smell like a refinery. Although, now that I think about it, smelling like a brewery probably isn't much better. :hammerhead:

May put the scag to bed for the evening and just pull the line tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks, all.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, if the lever of the switch is in line with the hose, it's ON.
    And if it's at a 90-degree angle to the hose, it's OFF.
    Maybe not always, but as a rule.

As for if you can't get it to shut off, take a rag and some Vise grips and wrap a piece of the rag around the rubber line then gently clamp down on it, blam, now you can work on the carb.