scag?...gravely?...toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txnbygod, Jul 8, 2003.

1. txnbygod

txnbygod LawnSite Member

note: newbie here

i'm in the market for a new machine. residential will be my main target so i am leaning to a 32" to fit thru most gates into the back yard.
    choices so far---

*scag advantage wif the 12.5 kawa
    *toro t-bar floating mulching deck wif the 13. kohler comm pro
    *gravely pro g wif the 13. kawa

and thoughts?

2. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I'm also in Texas. I use a 36 inch Scag WB. It goes into all of my gates. The machine seems okay, but I cannot get it to cut nicely. It is my first WB, and I'm teaching myself, but still, on some of my yards where it has to be perfect, I pull out the Toro Proline 21 incher.

I'm usually pretty quick on the learning curve, but this walk behind is damn difficult to produce an even, smooth, scalp free cut. I know I'll get flamed for this, but to me, the 21 inch produces the best finish on the residential lawns that are in my area. All of the guys, myself included, who use WBs don't seem to produce as smooth and pretty of a cut. I've tried Gator blades, and changing the deck pitch and height, all with limited success. If I had to buy again, I'd knock off a 7-11 if I had to to get a hydro machine. The belt drive either goes forward, or you manhandle it backward. The hydro, you can dance into and out of tight areas, with much less fatigue. It looks like that Exmark ECS thing is fingertip control of the machine, with zero muscle required. There is no close Exmark dealer to me, but next year, I might just buy one anyway, even if I need to drive an hour to get it repaired.

Again, the Scag is fine, but I wish I hadn't bought it.

3. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

most people never talk about the Husqvarna WB's but I have the 36" and love the power these mowers have. The only problem I have with it is that it has too much power. Down here we mow St. Augestine grass it it sucks all the runners out of the grass. Ends up makeing the yard look bad. I end up going back and with my blower and blowing the runners back down.

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Toro w/b's and very happy with them. Both are hydro with floating deck. 44" is the smallest one. Most yards here are big and if the back is fenced in they always have a double gate that you can drive a car through. The SFS decks on the Toro is great if the grass is wet and/or thick, but it does not cut the blade more than once. If your cutting off 2" of grass, thats the length of the clipping it fires out the discharge. But they're pretty much unstoppable. I have a mulch kit on the 52" and it made a big difference.

5. txnbygod

txnbygod LawnSite Member

i had a quick look at toro's T-bar floating deck proline gear today. handling seems very nice, but did see a thread stating he had scalping problems on uneven ground.

with a majority of st. augustine lawns down here, i don't want to have to fight a constant battle to leave a nice finish.

i am wondering attached or floating deck?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How can a 36" WB EVER possibly scalp???

The deck is only a few inches wider than the track width. The casters are only a little more set inward.

At a "normal" 3" cut height, I cant see any small decks EVER scalping.

HOW IS THIS HAPPENING???

Sure a 21"er will follow ground undulations PERFECTLY, but how rough a lawn are we talking that a 36"er can "scalp"???

Heck, I have to TRY to scalp with my 48" fixed deck WB. And its always an edge gouging if I turn into a hill.

Am I missing something?

7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

My 52" is more offset on the left side for trimming under shrubs etc... but it has an anti-scalp roller on that side. That wheel has all the height adjustments as the deck. As I raise and lower the deck, I have to be mindful of that roller as well. The 44" does not have it because the deck is not as offset. Never had a scalping issue with it either. The SFS deck does not create as much suction as say the exmark. Might solve the problem Hunter has with the ST. Augustine runners being pulled up.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag is good, are you sure you can't fit a 36" through the gates?

12.5 HP, will be a little weak, especially if you're going to use a sulky.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Gravely Pro G. It Has a Positive Revers, deeper deck, try the New control's.
    John

10. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

the few runners that get pulled up are no big deal I spend maybe an extra minute blowing them down or pulling them out.

You not spending a lot of time doing this.

Demo a Husqvarna WB you'll like the way they handle.