Scag guys---Pro-V or pistol grip hydro---if you were buying?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, May 8, 2008.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Calling all Scag guys. I need to make a decision within one week. Anybody run a Pro-V on severe slopes? Any problems that I should know about running a Pro-V on slopes?

I've got to tell you I'm not to pleased with the engine selection from Scag! All Kawasaki. I'm partial to Kohler as I've not had one problem with their engines.

I'll check back in later and answer all questions you may have for me.

Thanks for the help. :usflag:

2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Ive heard some guys in our area with the V-Pro that they are not the best on a slope. But its sorta like using a rider on a hill, you just need to take your time and go slow. I think with the pistol grips you have that much more control. I have yet to have the experience with it yet!

3. regl

regl LawnSite Member

How does the pro v work with sulky.

4. Two Seasons

I'll find out those questions within the next couple of weeks I hope. Right now, in the morning dew, if I'm pushing it a little, I can get the drive tires sliding some.

I'm assuming that a sulkie on a Pro-V, on undulating ground, may be troublesome. Maybe they, Scag, have that figured out too.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I am trying to get a scag swzu hydro floating deck pistol grip. I dont want the v pro. It looks nice but on some of the hills I mow I like the pistol grips better.

6. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Does anyone on this site own the Pro-V?

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

im waiting to hear back from a property we put in a bid for that has some nasty slopes. we are gonna buy the pro v for it, (we needed a wb regardless) and am gonna demo the unit as soon as we get the go ahead. ive heard they are nice to use on a hill because you can operate with one hand if necessary, the only thing is you cant muscle it around like you could with pistol grips. only sulky that is going on this thing would be a bullrider or equivalent.

8. Two Seasons

Yeah, I like the bullrider too. Getting closer to pulling the trigger!

9. Two Seasons

Bought the Pro-V 48. I'll post back when I've used it a couple of days.

In the meantime, anybody in the market for a Scag 36 WB, belt drive?

10. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Congrats! I guess I answered my own question. Someone on this site does own a Pro-V.