Scag guys with vac systems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengiant9963, Apr 24, 2008.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at maybe getting a scag 3 bag vac system for my Turf Tiger. Just wondered from guys that run them how do they hold up. Pro's and Con's. I would be putting in on a 27 horse power Kohler 61 inch Turf Tiger with the velocity cutting deck. I see alot of them for sale on ebay and craigslist. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. rwnail

rwnail LawnSite Member

GreenGiant, i bought a 48" Tiger Cub with a 19 HP Kaw. Last Year. I put the Clamshell Catcher on it and it works awesome on leaves and grass. Plus you can empty it without leaving your seat, a real time saver.
  3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I use a trac vac 655 with my turf tiger w/27kawi. Works well, the dealer really wanted to sell me the scag set up but I have had bad experience with a spindle powered bagger, not a scag system though.
  4. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I have the Scag triple bag system on a TT 52" 27 HP Kohler. It works fine,doesn't hurt the power unless the grass is too tall(then you don't need to bag anyway). Be sure you get the front end weights if you get one, as it comes with the bagger.( if you bought one off Ebay you'll need the weights, shipping the weights would be a *****>15 lbs a piece and 5 I believe). You need the weights cause when the bagger is full of grass clippings each bag weighs a ton.When I first got it from the dealer he forgot to give me the weights. The bags got full , I went up a small hill and did a wheelie, the full bags acting as wheelie bars. I have noticed a couple of things Scag could have enginerred a little better. The actual bags are good quality and have a hard bottom. The hanger system for the bags is good,very easy to load and unload. The drive belt is a little funky the way it runs. You can take the blower off with a few pins.(takes about 5 minutes to remove)(about 15 minutes to install,remembering how that belt went on). David
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the clam shell is the way to go. and you can just open it when u dont wanna bag
  6. greengiant9963

Thanks for the replies so far. Some of my biggest concerns is the time it takes to remove the blower. I have vac systems on my exmark and John Deere and they only take about 15 to 20 seconds to remove. That being the vac itself and the tube. I leave the bags on the bag most of the time even when I am not bagging. Just was wondering how much of a pain it is to take on and off. Wondered also how it did on wet grass? My exmarks cloggs quick when going over anything wet but the Deere really does well. Thanks again for the info. Anyone else?
  7. greengiant9963

Any other opinions on this system? How long does it take to take the blower itself off?
  8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at a Scag bagging system for this fall.(Leaves) I don't have any customers that like their yard bagged but do have alot of yards that want their leaves up in the fall. In the city limits here you can put the clippings at the road and the city will pick them up free. I have a few lawns in the county where the leaves will have to be removed. If I get the clamshell it will be easier in the city as I can just go to the curb and "dump" at the curb. But in the county I will either have to dump them on the trailer or on a tarp and hall off. With the bags I can just pull up to the truck or trailer and hand dump them. I guess I need to figure out if I want to get off my Tiger every time I dump the clippings. The price difference is only about $300 different on each set up here.
  9. greengiant9963

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Green, how new is your John Deere with the catcher? what model catcher? Is there a reason you are looking to switch brands?

I have a grasshopper and am sick of the gutless-ness of it and unclogging the blower all the time. The catcher on it works great if the grass is as dry as a popcorn fart, if it's even a little wet I get to be green up to my elbows from unclogging it every 10 minutes.

I was thinking about a john deere, I hear so many great thing about the 7 Iron decks, but never get to see any details about the catchers... It's a big deal here, we bag 98% of the time!