scag has a hard time turning over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

for it to start, it must be choked all the way for it to start, even after is been running. the battery and selinoid are new. maybe the starter??
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a Kohler check the fuses.....the pull down solenoid in carb might not be working.
  3. jds720

its the briggs&stratton 24hp
  4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

It does start though , right? I have a scag with a kawi on it. In order to start it when cold I have to choke it and open the throttle slightly. When it is hot I still need to choke it to start. It is my understanding this is due to the idle circuit in the carb being so lean for emission reasons. As long as it starts and runs good where is the problem?
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Check the valves for proper gap. The numbers on the flywheel housing will tell you what type of motor it is to compare to the reference maintenance manuals so you know the correct intake/exhaust valve setting.
    B&S motors are notorious for loosing their valve lash settings particularly when subjected to long run times in hot conditions.
  6. jds720

when i get it started it runs like a champ, just seems kinda odd to me
  7. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I wouldn't let it bother you. I have a 07 Cub with a 26 Briggs on it and I always have to choke it no matter how long its been has about 250 hours on it now and is runs just as strong as when I got it....I thought it was odd too especially when it was warm....conversely you'll notice that it cranks hard when its really cold too.