1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag height adjustments?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thes, May 15, 2004.

1. thes

thes LawnSite Member

I have a 61" Scag walk behind hydro...I want to raise the height of the cut, but still leave two blade spacers. The castors are all the way up. My question is: there are three optional holes on the cutter deck to move it up or down. It's in the middle one now. Seeing as all blades are tipped towards the front, should I move the deck to the lower or the upper holes? One repair shop told me upper...but I don't see how that would work seeing that the blades are tipped forward.
    I'd appreciate any insight on this.

2. jrainw

jrainw LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Putting the bolts in the lowest set of holes will raise the deck, after raising the rear adjust your castor spacers until the front of your blade is 1/4" lower than the rear. After doing that use the blade spacers to get the cutting height you want. Pitching the deck forward the 1/4" will really help the quality of cut, 0 or negative pitch doesn't seem to cut as well but leaves a nice stripe.
  3. thes

thes LawnSite Member

That info is VERY helpful...thanks again for taking the time.