Scag Hurricane Muching Kit...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ocelot27, May 19, 2006.

1. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hey all,

Just installed the complete SCAG "Hurricane Mulching Kit" on my 48" Advantage deck (Tiger Cub body). Pain in the balls installing it alone but I was able to do it in under an hour. I cut about an acre of 6 inch wet to moist fescue and KB to test the system. I cut to 3.5 inches and although I had to slow down quite often to let the 20HP Kohler catch up (only 15 hours on this engine) the results were impressive. No clumping, no visible clippings and good striping - though not as good as high-lifts with side discharge. The debris looks like what a fairway mower produces on a private golf course - very fine 0.25-1 inch fragments. I will try to post some pics later. The cost of the system is about $200 and includes all the baffles, chute plate and the SCAG blades which, by the way, are WAY better than Gators on this deck. Not sure if that's a good deal but it sure as hell runs circles around the Gators on the same deck with just the chute blocked off.

-john.

2. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

You forgot to tell us how many pounds of wet grass you unpacked from the deck.

The scag hurricane is a great mulching kit. But when you cut wet spring growth it gets messy. You can feel your mower slow down from all the added weight of packed grass under the deck.

Ill give you a week then I bet you will be back here telling us you took it off!! At least till summer.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

How true, how true. I have the old style mulch kit for my 52" tiger cub. Last spring I got real tired of cleaning the deck. This spring its all in a box in the shop. I'll just double cut as necessary until we get past the spring rains. I run mulching blades with an ocdc on my 60" lazer.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We bought the kit but was concerned that it would load the unit down in wet grass...so we just block the outlet and have those little down draft things under the spindles. When we get into the hot weather I might try the compartment baffles, but don't look forward to putting them on.

5. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yup.... checked after I read the thread yesterday - I think the outstanding performance of the system lies in the fact that the deck can pack all the clippings inside it without leaving any on the grass - it's like a new kind of catcher. I will take it off and switch back to the catcher for now. I think it will work better when things dry out a bit.

6. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

It's actually easier to do the baffles than those spindle things - if you're working alone.

7. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with grass packing under the deck on my SCAG Tiger Cub with the Hurricane Mulch Kit. I wrote to SCAG and couldn't get any where with them. Sold it on Ebay and haven't looked back. Life has been so much easier ever since removing it. I can't tell you how many times I cleaned pounds of grass from under the deck. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I also told my dealer who atleast seemed concerned.

8. gonna.cut.grass

gonna.cut.grass LawnSite Member

I was thinking of buying the Mulch baffle Kit for 48 cub 19HP kawa (advantage deck)
    but now after reading the posts - I am not sure what to do-

9. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

The kit is great on leaves but not great on cool season grasses during spring. If youre cutting more than 1/3 off the top, you wont be happy up here. But down south, I bet those guys can run a kit all year. That would be nice.

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Works best in the spring if you can carry 2 mowers 1 that side discharges and 1 that is set up to mulch. I always have 2 mowers and like following the discharge with the mulcher in heavy conditions. Works great on cool season grasses. Cut it off clean on the 1st pass then mulch it up and it dissapears
    on the 2nd pass. My Exmark doesn't get the build up very often. I mulched wet grass all the time and only clean the deck weekly.