Scag Hurricane Mulching System or Power Chute?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajo771, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ajo771

ajo771 LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner so this will be for my 3 acres only.

I have a 27 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki on a 61" Advantage Deck Turf Tiger. I can get the Scag Hurrican Mulching System for the same price as a Power Chute. I need something to keep grass out of my beds, gardens, pool, pond, etc. Also, I mulch the leaves in the fall.

1. Will the Hurricane Mulching system be OK for weekly cutting? Can I use it all season?

2. If I used the Power Chute, would it work well in the fall on leaves with a set of mulching blades? If so what kind of blades? Gator Blades or Scag Eliminator mulching blades?

3. Will either of these effect the striping or the lawn? Will I need a Striping kit?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The power chute will work great for keeping grass away from area's you need it kept out of but it is not designed for mulching. The Scag mulcher looks like a pain to install. I don't know about it's performance though. Can't imagine mulching here.

3. ajo771

ajo771 LawnSite Member

Thats what I'm thinking. Thats why if I put it on I want to just keep it on and use it all the time.

On my old mower I used gator blades and a block off plate to mulch the leaves. I would do a quick blow down with blowers then just mulch in the rest. But I always wished it did better.

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Scag Hurricane Mulch System a try. If it takes away from the striping I could add the Tiger Stripe kit.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The mulch kit is not a pain to install there are only 5 bolts. You simply jack up the front of machine. The same bolts hold the dust shield and you take it off. The little devices under the spindles go on pretty easy. And the mulch plate over the outlet is just two bolts. We leave ours on year round. It loads the unit down and probably reduces belt life a little. If I were you I would simply bolt on the mulch plate that blocks the outlet and see how that goes. Then if you need more mulching put the baffles on in the fall. The device under the spindles can stay on year round. These big units mulch pretty well without the baffles. Be prepared for blowout and dust. I don't like the powerchute idea that thing is just too much stuff hanging on the unit that can get torn off by bushes and low limbs. If you need to side discharge the plate comes off in couple minutes.

5. ajo771

ajo771 LawnSite Member

ed2hess,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the mulching kit at the dealer this coming week.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Big difference mulching warm season grasses versus cool season grasses. No commercial cutters in my area mulch, for the simple reason you can't in the spring. Just doesn't work with are lush spring growth. Who would want to have to jack up the mower and unbolt baffels all the time, not me. Oh and as far as shrubs and tree limbs tearing off the power Chute, I have used mine Power Chutes for over 800hrs and that has not happened yet.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't you'll hate the results in the Spring and early summer. Just side discharge and get a Power Chute to direct grass out of the landscapes and where you don't want it.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I never had to jack our Scags up to remove the mulching plate it was close/tight, and I had some bloody knuckles removing the mulching plate on the concrete. I love our manual ACS chute, and it does a great job mulching with no mulck kit on a diesel, so I would think on the Scag it would serve well as a mulching plate, might not be perfect, but only you would notice the grass left behind if you did not DC, plus it's doing the same thing as the Scag factory mulch plate that is truly a PITA to deal with going from mulching to SD. ACS or the Power Chute is the only way to role nowadays.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

+1..........

10. boatdrinks

boatdrinks LawnSite Member

I was worried about how well the mulching system would work on my tiger cub 61, and have been pleasantly surprised. Heck today i was going to take it off to do a yard that hadn't been cut all year, double cut it and it came out just fine.