Scag, Hustler, or Dixie Chopper ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Ranger 13, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Lawn Ranger 13

Lawn Ranger 13 LawnSite Member

I will be buying a new ZTR this fall. I'm looking at 27/60. The DC dealer is about 15 minutes away and is a first class guy who will provide outstanding service. The Hustler dealer is about 40 miles away and I do not know a lot about the dealer yet. The Scag dealer is my current dealer. They do a great job and have always treated me good. The only problem is that I have to drive is over an hour one way. What would you do and please give me some info on Super Z, Turf Tiger or Flatlander XWF2700. Which machine will handle hills well? I will demo the DC and Hustler next week. Thanks for any feedback.

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you try the super z you want have any problem finding out it will walk off and leave any mower on the market. Your productivity of mowing in larger areas will be 25% at least in a days time possibly more. It is not only that it will mow that much faster than any of the other mowers you can move around to do anything faster. Sometimes if grass gets real heavy and I want to blow it into one of my crop fields it is so fast I don't think anything about going back an blowing it all in one direction it will fly.

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a Hustler Z and couldn't be happier with it. The super Z is a faster version of the Hustler Z with larger Hydros and an oil cooler. I've used Scag, Exmark, DC, and many other mowers and I think Hustler has them all beat. The Hustler is fantastic on hills and steep slopes as well. Buy the Hustler. You won't regret it.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i sell the hustler line and i cant keep a super z on the floor i just cant put them together fast enough i also sell exmark and they have been my main mower line for 12 years all i can say is look out exmark

5. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

we have 3 super zs,a friend of mine wanted to use one of mine(to demo)he let us use one of his scags. i would not give up my supers z after that!!!! that scag turf tiger beat me to death,i feel sorry for anyone that uses one of these, they will have back trouble in the near future.... now he wants to sell his scags,to get all super zs....

6. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

Lawn Ranger 13,

Which engines, and decks do you have on your Super Z's ?

Do they have plenty of power?

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I personaly have owned 2 Super Z's one had a 25 Kaw. and the other one I stepped up to the 27 Kohler both 60" decks and I could tell a difference in the extra 2 horses. The Hustler Rep. says there is quicker throttle response and about 30% savings in fuel economy in the new 28 EFI they offer.