1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hollis Maintenance, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a zero turn. would like some help deciding on brand. I've ridden the scag. Very nice machine. smooth and responsive. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to try a few more mowers. Your spending a lot of money. You wouldn't want to kick yourself if you bought the wrong one.

I have a Hustler Mini Z and is it has a comfortable ride and excellent cut. Lots of good ZTR's out their. Make sure you test the mowers on bumpy grounds and go fairly fast so you can feel how good the mower cushions the bumps.

Also check out the warranty. Hustler has a very good 2 year warranty.
  3. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Both are very good mowers, I have a Hustler and am very happy with it, they have a great warranty, and great customer service, I have heard that the Scags are more expensive as far as replacing parts if needed??
    I would demo as many units as possible before spending the money..
  4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

As a dealer representing both brands of course I'll tell you, you can go wrong with either!

Hustler beats all for smooth, responsive operation. The SuperMiniZ is my favorite mower in the world! Their warranty beats Scag hands down! They will be less expensive (slightly) They still have factory rebates on all SuperZ's and Hustler Z's and any 04 model still on a dealers floor. They makes their price hard to beat.

Scag is simply the toughest mower running. It's spindle is the toughest, longest lasting spindle on the market (if you grease it!!! ). If you want a big mower the Turf Tiger is the beast! Drive shaft driven (vs. belt) their seat is AWESOME! They have alot of grease/maintenance points which can be a blessing if you use them properly!

Before I was a dealer I owned an LCO and we ran both over the years! Find the one that meets YOUR needs best and you be plenty satisfied with either!
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler must really be great because my experience with the Scag dealer in our area is that they are simply the best I could hope for.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I do not find that Hustler, specifically the Super Z is in any way behind the Scag's Turf Tiger. I have had more Scag riders then any other brand, but when I compared them to the Hustler Z/ Super Z, there was no comparison. People talk about how tuff the Tiger is, and it is heavy duty, but I think my Super Z is built stronger. Scag may have a better Spindle, but I will gladly take a belt drive system over the drive shaft any day. Had the shaft go bad on a Tiger, and it broke the frame in several places, not to mention the blade speed you loose turning that driveshaft. The Super Z gives a better cut, better discharge, better warrenty, better setup for routine maintenence, is more comfortable with a factory suspension seat, better cooler setup, greater speed, better customer support, better manuverabiltiy, better on hills, if there is anything I missed, I am sure the Hustler will be better. I will gladly mow against any Scag rider using my Super Z, and I will dominate them. I want Speed, efficiency, great finished product, and a company that stands behind their product. I have it all with my Hustler riders. Demo both and you will understand.
  8. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Who is the dealer you deal with. Is it Farmers Pride lawn equipment on Cassat. Before you decided on the Hustler what other dealers and mowers did you try. THanks
  9. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Yes, I bought from Farmers on Cassat, went in to look at the Dixie Choppers and after about a month of looking around decided to go with the Hustler.
    I looked at the Gravely line at Nichols, on Beach, and also the Exmarks over off of St Johns ave, and the Ferris line on Cassat at Mcstephens.
    I actually rode on the Choppers, Scags, and the Ferris before making my decision, I just liked the way the Hustler sat, and handled, the warranty is excellent and I have no regrets, I would make the same choice again, when I need to add another mower it will be another Hustler..
  10. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I am just starting to research ztrs. I know here in jacksonville it seems like exmarks are everywhere, I do not see to many hustlers. Exactly what kind of hustler did you get. I know Florida Georgia down the street from Farmers has a very good reputation for dealer support. They only offer walkers and toro. THinking of demoeing a Toro.