1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Hydro Filter Changed Now No Power From Wheels

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CNYFarmboy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy LawnSite Member

I changed the filter on my scag for the Hydro and I thought that just running the machine would work the air out of the system, but I dont seem to be able to get the air out of the system. Is there any tricks? Thanks

2. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

ive heard of jacking up the back wheels off the ground and use the controls and maybe keep the cap off when doing so :blob3:
  3. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

If the scag system is like most the best way to blead the air from the system is to pick both rear tires off the ground, disengauge the pumps like you are pulling the maching. Crank the machine, run at about half throttle, work the lever from forward to neutral to reverse slowly for a couple of minutes. Then reingauge the pumps and you should be ready to go. When you get through, check the fluid level and make sure it's to the proper level. Good luck and I hoped I Helped
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you jack the mower up off the ground, and run the hydro's for about 10 minutes. I have done it with the hydro's engaged, and have not had any problems. did you prefill your hydro filter? if there's air in the system, you should hear them screaming. you may have to add more hydro fluid as the air purges from you system, so make sure to run it with the cap off for those ten minutes, and check the hydro fluid every couple of minutes.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just what the guys said in the above post, fill the hydro filter, jack the rear of the mower up and run the engine and work the hydro levers back and forwards till it smoothes out
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Also, when prefilling the filter.....I do this the day before in the house. The next day it's down about an inch!
  7. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Do all of the above mentioned steps. There is no more. MAKE SURE that the filter is FULL of fluid before you put it backon. Block-up the rear tires and run it for awhile. Wheels should be turning. Double check fluid level when you are done. Easy and simple. Go back over your steps, and you should be fine.
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, don't just fill it then put it on. take the filter off, and let it rest then fill it again, let it rest, fill again, let it rest, fill again. when it stops going down after about a minute, it's full.