Scag Hydro Filter Changed Now No Power From Wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNYFarmboy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy LawnSite Member

I just changed the filter and I dont seem to be able to get the air out, Is there any tricks to this. The mower is a 61" hydro WB. Thanks

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The air should rise in a few we change them at night by the morning they are fine
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

on the ztrs usually if you lift them off the ground and spin the work the contols it will work its way out. My buntons have a little bypass valve that you open up, work the levers, and this works well too. Not sure if the same applies on a walk behind but I imagine the hydro systems are similar.
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard of two ways.

After changing the fluid and filter. Fill the new filter completly up with fresh oil before installing it!

1. lift unit rear wheels off the ground, operate machine in reverse for 20-30 mins. leaving bypass valves closed.

2. lift unit rear wheels off the ground, operate machine alternating forward then reverse [holding in each direction for a while] with the bypass valve opened one turn.
    Repeat many many times. Close valves, lower then test machine.

I used number 2 last time I changed the fluid. After working the machine over 3 weeks, I find I need to bleed them again [small air bubbles suspended in the oil] unresponsive right side at startup.

I am going to try number 1 this time, as was suggested by a friend.

He also suggested I check the drive belt for the pumps again. This was replaced when I changed the fluid. He said that the pump drive belt can cause problems if it has any defects at all.

hope this helps

good luck.