Scag hydro oil.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nozzleman, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I bought a new Scag W/B hydro last spring. In the fall I changed the hydro oil and filter and used Castrol 20W50 oil. My question is did my mower come from the factory filled with synthetic hydro oil? None of my literature says anything other than what viscosity to use so I am guessing it's regular oil. What got me wondering was a Husqvarna catalog that I was reading today and it seems their mowers are filled with Mobil1 from the factory. I just want to be sure I did not mix oils by mistake.

2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new scagg hydro and checked my book and it say's the same, 20w50 motor oil. I just assumed it would take synthetic oil, as I see allot of manufactures machines use it.. My guess is it was filled with 20w50 motor oil from the factory. The next time I see my dealer I'm going to ask if you can replace the 20w50 w/ synthetic oil.. Hope this helps...

Lou :cool:

3. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we run 15w50 mobil 1 in all our machines, which include exmark, scag and great dane. the exmarks come with it from the factory and don't know about GD or scag.

hydros and wheel motors are big $. might as well protect the investment with some synthetic.

4. fatboy5803

So I guess going to synthetic didn't hurt anything ?? Was there any changes in the performance in the steering ? How long have you been using the syn in the scagg ? Is it a w/b ??

5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

As soon as i buy a scag i drain the hydro and put mobil one in it.
    They come from the factory with dino in it .
    We have run all our scags hydro on mobil one or amsoil since 1996

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

When we purchased our Scags, I talked with both the dealer and the regional rep. about the use of different oils for the hydros. As I recall Scag has done testing with many different oils and do not approve of synethics in their machines. According to Scags tests the synethics run much hotter and reduce pump life greatly in the hydro system. Use of anything other than 20w50 will void their warranty on the hydro system.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats because they know that their pumps will outlast their warranty, but after that period, they technically WANT them to fail so they can sell you parts.

The only effect that Synthetic Oil has in a hydro system is that it will have a higher temperature tolerance to breakdown. How can this be bad?

8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

scag 48, 61 and 72 walkbehinds and 61 and 72 TTigers.

some with as few as 700 hrs and some pushing 2000+ hrs.

several are 95's but most are 99-00's.

9. fatboy5803

After going to the synthetic oil, was there a difference in the performance?? Steering, or anything noticeable??

10. fatboy5803

Thanks for contacting us.

In short, we do not require synthetic due to our lower operating
    temperatures when compared to other manufacturers (we rotate our pumps
    slower than most to keep heat levels down. We also utilize slightly larger
    tanks).

Especially with a walk-behind, operating temperatures are never high enough
    to accelerate viscosity breakdown to the point where synthetic oil would be
    beneficial. Using synthetic oil would be a false economy. Hat's why we
    don't use it. I would just increase your cost to maintain your mower.

Change the 20w50 as scheduled, use the original Scag hydraulic filter (very
    important) and you should experience long hydraulic system life.

Thanks,

Chris Frame
    Manager of Marketing and Strategic Technology
    Scag Power Equipment
    cframe@scag.com
    www.scag.com

Comments: Scag recommends 20w50 motor oil for the hydro system,I here people
    going to the Synthetic oil.Is this recommended?? I have a 36"w/b 15 hp
    Kawas... Any help.

Lou

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from scag, about synthetic oil for hydro sys... I e-mailed him back and asked could you use the synthetic, waiting for a response.... I'll let you know...

Lou

:cool: