Scag hydro problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Terra-Scapes, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I've got a 1999 Scag 48" hydrodrive walk-behind. I was mowing a property Friday without any problems. As I finished I headed back to the trailer and turned off the blade. I came down the driveway and dropped off the 1" driveway lip and the mower slowly lost hydro power and stopped. The engine was running, but it couldn't get it to move forward or backward at any speed.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Josh

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

If it happens on both side maybe belt related.

3. Terra-Scapes

I didn't know that it had belts to drive the wheels. I thought the hydraulics powered the wheels...

It's a Scag Hydro-Drive 48"walk-behind. I bought it used and I'm not sure the Hydraulic fluid and filter has been changed in years.

Josh

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Sounds like the belt that runs the hydro to me. If your lucky, thats all it will be.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a belt issue. Let us know the out come. Good Luck!!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would HOPE to think he looked underneath to see if the hydro-pump belt is loose or off.

But...maybe it was easier to push it on the trailer and come home to type on here and ask what to do?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

May be hydro belt slipping but also could be the pulley loose on the hydro pump. I had a pulley that was loose and I didn't notice it until I pulled the belt off then the pulley dropped off. These Scag pulley are compression fit and can come loose with time.

8. Terra-Scapes

After further inspection I discovered that the spring that holds the hydro belt tentioner in place snapped and was letting the belts slip. I'm not sure this is a Scag OEM part, because I bought this machine used and the previous owner wasn’t very honest about use. It appears to be "rigged" as a short term fix.

Does anyone know if this spring is an original part?

Thanks,
    Josh

9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Scag dealer and get new one. I am sure you can just rig up a spring if you can find one, but I would just get OEM one.

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you go with an aftermarket or hardware store spring just make sure to approximate the original tension so as not to overstress the belt, shafts or bearings.