Scag Hydro Problems...SOS

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jspence, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jspence

jspence LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag Hydro WB, with a fixed deck.

The other day I was mowing a yard and lost pulling power. The engine was running great, cutter deck still spinning, etc. I shut it down and looked underneath to find shreaded belt.
    Replaced belt, checked hydro fluid and cranked up. I drove it out of the shop, lost power to right side, then both. What gives? When engine is runing, both hydro pulleys are spinning and belt seems to be tensioned right. It feels as if the free wheel levers are dissengaged (i.e. no hydraulic resistance) but that is not the case.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!!!

Thanks,

Josh

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you would have noticed if one of pulleys was loose on its shaft when you put the belt on? I had a Tiger where the pulley came loose but everything looked fine .....pulleys turning but no hydro on one side. I would jack it up and try bleeding it.

3. jspence

jspence LawnSite Member

This is gonna sound ******** but would describe the bleed process? I checked the pulleys after seeing that comment on another thread but everything seems ok. When the engine is running, all three pulleys and belt are turning.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When was the last hydro oil/filter change ?

Check all hose fittings for being tight, One could be sucking air but not bad enough to leak oil.

Purge any air out of the system by jacking the drive wheels off the ground and block the unit. With the throttle set around 3/4 position slowly move the controls forward to reverse 8/10 times then test drive the unit.

What Ed is speaking of is making sure the shafts in the center of the pulley's are spinning also, Not just the pulley on the pump shaft.