Scag hydro vs Exmark Hydro (walkbehind)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Jan 13, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Since the deal fell through with the bobcat hydro walkbehind I'm needing a new walkbehind. I have narrowed it down to 2.....the first one is a Exmark TTHP 48" 17 kawa, mulch kit with less than 125 hrs (excellent shape) for 3,000 and $75 fuel to go get the thing. Or a brand new 48 scag hydro fixed with a 17 kawa for $3788 after taxes from my dealer. I have a 36" scag and 36" exmark metro ECS right now and really like both mowers. As of right now I'm not sure the warranty status of the Exmark as to if it can be put into my name. The person from exmark on the phone this morning said, "if my dealer checked it out and found that there were no known problems they would transfer it," but the reply I received last night on the exmark forum is they doubt it would transfer. Which mower would you choose?? and why??

2. 2k1yzfr1

Does anyone have a opinion on which is the the better price?? The new fixed for 3788 or the used floating for 3000?? How much extra is the floating deck compared to the fixed deck?? :confused:

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Exmark. Much better value (more machine, less money). Nothing wrong with Scag necessarily but the eXmark is just better! You’ll like the floating deck on a 3 blade deck it makes a difference. Warranty is for mowers that break down- eXmarks don’t need warranty.

4. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

fsm , it amazes me that just one year ago you would have said the same thing about scag that your now saying about eXmark and how great they are , dont get me wrong as i think they are both great machines in there own right , but i guess if you would have bought a decent scag to begin with and not buying burned up junk you would have stayed with scag

2k remember dealer support is very important in your decision on what to buy

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Boturf, in case you were not aware I have owned 3 scags. The first was burnt up and I planned to rebuild it but a more appealing deal came along to trade it. A year ago I bought a Scag walk behind, it did well but it was old and worn out and needed more power and a better deck design. Therefore I do not trash talk newer Scags because I know they would not have these problems. I also had a Scag rider that was a pretty good machine, in great shape. I loved it but only sold it because it wasn’t helping me on the lawns I had and I needed the money. I have never trash talked either of those machines because they were fine for what they were. But the eXmark is simply so much better, and I do know that the new Scags are pretty much comparable, I don’t exactly compare my older Scags to my eXmark. I just simply say comparing it to nothing, the eXmark is still awesome. I have none of the issues with it that I’ve had with my other mowers or that other guys have had with their “other brand” mowers, be it Scag or whatever. I have friends that have tried it and liked it much better than their Scags too. Lots of guys on here prefer them. I am not just bragging because it’s what I currently own. I’m bragging because it’s earned it. I would have stayed with Scag if I’d found this good of a deal on a comparable model, but I didn’t. I found this deal and I knew that eXmark had an awesome reputation and after I tried it out I said this is awesome! If you want to talk smack about me fine but know that there are lots of other people that agree with me.

6. 2k1yzfr1

PM button :D

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the Exmark at a dealer or private party? If it is private why is the guy selling it?

8. 2k1yzfr1

Private party .....he is getting out of parttime lawncare b/c of lack of time

9. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

not talking smack fsm just my observation from someone who dosnt say much . i I have been running scag since 1993 and havent had much trouble at all , But i only mow 60 accounts every week so they dont get much of a workout .lol

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

You know I went and re-read my reply. I never said anything was wrong with that Scag I’m sure it’s a great deal. But warranty aside you’re getting more for your money with that Exmark in this particular instance. Floating deck, mulch kit, and about $700 cheaper. Sure it has a few hours and no warranty, big deal. How often do mowers break down within the warranty period? Do you think that any of the breakdowns in the warranty period would exceed $700? See my logic? If they were switched places and it was a Scag floater w/mulcher and cheaper I might have said go get it.