1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag hydro WB durability / Fastrack vs WB&Sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nov141992, Mar 16, 2005.

1. nov141992

nov141992 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner with 3/4 acre. I'm considering buying a used 48" hydro Scag Walk Behind and am hoping to get some input. I'm weighing this option against buying a new Fastrack.

Any one out there have a pump or hydro motor go out on a Scag? If so after how many hours (read or approximated)?

How many hours would you expect a hydro Scag Walk Behind used commercially to have before running into significant problems? What problems have you had with yours and at how many hours?

Any suggestions on how to gauge the condition of a used one? Seems like more often then not there is no hourmeter.

Another factor in trying to decide WB vs Fastrack is which is more enjoyable. A ZTR rider looks like fun almost. Of course if I had to do it all day I might feel differently. Are the riders a lot easier to handle and more enjoyable than a hydro WB with a sulky?

Thanks for any input
  2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

So far as your hydro motors I wouldn't give them any concern other than changing the filter,fill it with oil first,do not change the tank oil, per the maker of the pumps. My newest scag has 3200 hrs by meter no guestment,three other units range up to 4100 hours so more than 12 thousand hours of trouble free running. I think most brands probably have the same track record but if you are a home owner and only cutting 3/4 of an acre and want to save some money,a belt drive might be a cheaper way to at the beginning but a hydro is faster,almost 0 maintaince,runs in all conditions. Have not replaced any spindle bearings.Scag engine to blade belts were a major problem,110 to about 150 hrs they would break and shread and work into the clutch,pain in butt to fix in the field. Switched to Rotary's kevelar belts about 8-9 years ago,no shreding,250 plus hours,they chunk and vibrate before they break so you don't have to clean out the clutch. Throw a velkie or what ever behind it and you will like it and save time.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your a homeowner a Scag Hydro will last you until it is completely obsolete.
    You shouldn't even be worried about durability. Heck when commercially used scags are going to the junk piles yours will be just breaking in!
  4. Steppenwolf

You hit the nail on the head on that one, along with most other commercial brands.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have put over 4000hrs on our 36". We did have to put a wheel motor in and that cost $450. You can jack up the unit and take the wheel off and be sure there is no oil leaks at the motor bearings. Unfortunately the outside bearing($10 part) is what fails and that causes other problems.
  6. Steppenwolf

I did fail to mention ,make sure the engine deck,where the hydro motors are mounted are not cracked,if they are the motors will not sit straight and cause the bearings or seals to wear wrong. Get the unit welded pronto,common problem. 4000 hrs on a 36 inch mower!!! can't imagine that,tooo much like work:)
  7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Ck. out the exmark TTHP nice machine also
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

In my opinion you would be better off going with a new fastrac. That way you would have a lot more fun and you would get to sit down instrad of stand up and you would be getting a brand new machine verses a used one. I know the Fastrac is a lot more maney but I still think it would be worth it over a used walk behind.