scag/john deere zero turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcatoh, Feb 17, 2007.

1. bobcatoh

bobcatoh LawnSite Member

i don't know which would be better the scag turf tiger 61'' or a john deere z225. which would be the better buy?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to beat a Turf Tiger, hold their value well.

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

a z225? why waste your money, i don't run scag, but if those are your choices, go with scag. that z225 is just another home depot piece of s**t....... if you're going to buy a real deere, a 727, 737, or 757 are all very nice machines, if you want to compare apples to apples a z225 is no where near close to comparison to a commercial mower.

4. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

the turn tiger is about the same as the 445has the 54 inch deck the 225 has the 42 inch deck

5. DeereHauler

the same in what aspect? just because of the deck size? have you seen the "z" models? everything about those machines is junk. scags are at least built for commercial use, i told my dealer i was going to buy a "z" model (as a joke) and he laughed, and said he'll give me a week warranty on it.

i think john deere makes a quailty machine, thats why i use them, just like everyone else has their preference, but comparing that model scag, to that model deere is like comparing a ford F450 to a ford ranger......these machines are two completely different levels of quality... i don't know what comparison is trying to be made here, but the z225 is just another peice of junk to compete with the other junk zero turns that home depot and lowes sell, the quality isn't there, just the low price for the home owner who wants to say he has a zero turn.

6. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I agree... I talked with my dealer Friday about the "z" models, because i have a 797 with 60" deck (Ilove it) I want something small to get in back yards with small gates. He said not to use the "z" models, he said 717A was as small as he would go for comercial use. JMHO

7. DeereHauler

yeah, if you try to use a "z" model for commercial you can just throw your money away.

glad to hear you like the 797, very nice mower, i really like my 757's, but i just sold one to my aunt. i hve heard lots of good things about the 717's.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does the 797 have much trim with the 60" deck?

9. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

trim? not sure what you are talking about. I am new to this.

10. Hondoman

Hondoman LawnSite Member

stick with the commercial units. the homeowner z's are just not durable.