Scag/Kawasaki leaking oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jkingrph, Nov 26, 2006.

1. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Scag Wildcat 26hp LC Kawasaki leaking oil. It is not coming from the filter. I had cleaned and watched this connection carefully. My thought it is where the oil drain assembly enters the block. It really makes a mess dripping on floor in my workshop/ storage area. Unit only has 16 hours on it. Am going to return it to dealer for second time for this issue in a couple of days. Any thoughts or knowledge of this problem

Jeff

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing happened here i have a 2006 model it is leaking on the brass drain take it to the dealer let him tighten it, it is a brass nut and you no it will do damage mine was fixed no problem.

3. jkingrph

Thats where I think the leak is occuring and thought that te dealer had tightened it a couple of weeks ago, but it's still leaking. Will try again this week.

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just went thru this with a smaller kaw. They seem to have a few problems with oil leaks. Top main, top seal and breather cover gasket. Maybe you lucked out and it will be a drain plug. Be careful about overtightening it because if it is a tapered thread you could crack the sump where it screws in. Maybe need to remove and use a little tape or thread sealer and not over tighten.
    ducky

5. A-1 Affordable Lawn Care

A-1 Affordable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My new 2006 scag is awsome so far. I had a strip kit put on and I swear by it. Good luck!

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

AAAGGHH scag stories,it is a small problem i thought they put thread locker to seal,my dealer said no and he tightened the bolt.

7. jkingrph

Well got my Scag back last week after second trip to dealer for the oil leak.
    He said they installed/replaced an o ring. ??

After getting home I mowed leaves for a hour or so, let it sit overnight and mowed again. Have been checking daily so far no leaks after 6 days.

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 2005 wildcat with 25 air cooled kawasaki and it too was leaking oil. Took it back to the dealer and he tighten up oil drain where it connects to the block. It hasn't leaked since. 450 hrs and thats it a little oil leak. These are aw:some mowers would recommend them to anyone. :usflag:

9. jkingrph

I agree, awesome mower, just did not like leak and on piece of equipment it should be corrected and apprears to have been fixed. I'm happy, and would reccomend to anyone.

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Thumbs Up.