scag/kawasaki problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nbuzz, Oct 28, 2007.

1. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used wb. And I have a few questions, if you'll bear with me.

first I have oil in the carb. just changed the oil. at the correct level. what is the problem? the engine is the FB460.
    I don't think it is the head gasket because its not using oil.

my second question is just precautionary b/c all my other mowers have manual blade engagement. the clutch is covered in dirt, grass you name it. how can i clean it safely? and how can I prolong the life of it?

third is it normal to have grease come out the side of the blade spindles? it did this when i was greasing them obviously, but i thought i might've broken a seal or something.
    thanks for any response in advance, buzz

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

1) What weight oil did you put in ? Multi-weight oil could enter through the breather system more than single weight or it could have a bad breather reed.

2) Just hose it off with water then dry it with your blower then start the unit and engage the deck a couple times.

Also if your clutch is adjustable do so;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1463590&postcount=2

3) Some deck spindles have weep holes in the side so one doesn't blow any seals out while greasing.

3. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. I put straight 30 weight oil in it. which is on the sticker on the side of the mower. so what do you think could be the problem? I have never seen that happen before. whenever you shut it off, i can watch oil shoot into the carb.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could possibly be a problem with the breather reed;

[​IMG]

5. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

thanks rob. it turns out it was the breather sys. it was a pain it the @#$ trying to get to it. but now its running top notch, after i got the carb adjusted again. but thanks again. I really apppreciate it.