Scag / Kawasaki Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ScagSteve, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ScagSteve

ScagSteve LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I have an intermittent problem with my Scag WB that is driving me crazy! :confused: It is a Scag 61" Hydro WB with electric start and the Kawasaki FH641V (21 HP) engine. Sometimes when i go to start it up, I turn the key and it just "clicks"... no engine cranking, just an intial click when I turn the key.

At that point, I basically try a few more times (turn key off, turn to start again... "click") and then I throw it in free wheeling mode (hydro dump valves open) and move it around. I try again... and sometimes it then works, but then if it doesn't, I mess with other things (throttle, choke, etc.) and keep turning the key until the engine cranks.

When it turns over, it is great... it catches on nicely. I just don't know why this intermittent "click" start happens. Sometimes it can take me 5 minutes to get the starter to crank the engine (very frustrating).

Any suggestions? A loose fuse? Bad starter? What do you think I should try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Steve
    Newtown, CT

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the starter solenoid is on it's way out, But check all battery and harness connections for looseness/corrosion first. If nothing is found there replace the solenoid.

3. ScagSteve

Thanks so much! :) I am looking at the Denso starter, and see the following numbers on it:

21163-7014
    228000-7991

Does anyone know where to find the solenoid for this? (what the part # is, etc.) I do believe that the starter itself works very well... I want to just replace the solenoid, if possible.

Thanks again!
    -Steve

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

hey big buddy. my kaw starter i got to take off and clean every so often when it starts doing this. just spray it out with carb cleaner and then the air hose. a lot cheaper than a new solenoid @ $100.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

orielly auto parts has more mower parts at less price than dealer than you might think. especially starters. some of the ones ive got were half dealer price and carried lifetime warranty.

7. KennyW

KennyW LawnSite Member

I had a Scag Tiger Cub that did the same thing. Bad ignition switch. Was rusty from leving it outside all the time. Also check to make sure your battery is charging fully off the rectifier. He thought his batter=ies were bad, it was a bad rectifier only supplying about 9 volts DC to the battery. Kenny

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You have a bad relay some where in the safety system. Try starting it but tripping the solenoid.

[​IMG]

Jump the terminal labeled TO BATTERY to the terminal labeled TO SWITCH

9. petez

petez LawnSite Member

Clean the battery connections, and the ground cable at the engine. A click of the solinoid usually means the solinod is good but it is not getting enough juice to turn starter

10. ScagSteve

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies! I do agree... I think that it is connection related. I tightened the plug under the ignition switch and haven't had the problem in the last 4-5 starts. The connections in general have some rust corrosion to them, so perhaps a good winter task would be to give them a good cleaning.

It is also good to know that I could "jump" start it if I need to... that picture is awesome, BTW.

Thanks again!! :waving: