Scag/Kawi problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CarpenterKen, May 3, 2006.

1. CarpenterKen

CarpenterKen LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I have a 2005 Scag 48 belt drive with Kawi 15. I took it out of the shed for the first mowing and it won't run off of choke. It starts right up with the choke know out but as soon as I push it down it bogs out. I changed the fuel thinking it may have gone bad over the winter and dropped the carb bowl to see if there was anything in there, clean. Any ideas before I take it back to the dealer for a month?
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is still a carb issue if it will run on choke but not off of choke then the carb is not pulling its own fuel, when you have the carb bowl off you will need to blow out the main jet which is more then likely clogged, use a good carb cleaner spray and some compressed air if you have it this should help get you running without shop time. ( The jet is inside the center of the carb but you can get to it when you removed your bowl from the carb inside that housing that the bolt unscrewed from is the jet blow thought it with the carb spray and compressed air this should free up the blockage) Hope this helps:)

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to remove the bowl again and take a can of carb. choke spray cleaner with the little straw on it and shoot some up the center of the carb. where the bowl nut screws in, Then any other areas you can get to then re-assemble. Also replace the fuel filter.
    Sounds like the main jet is gummed up.

Beat me by a minute.........

4. CarpenterKen

Thanks guys, I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it worked out. When I called the dealer to order the new filters and such he said that they had seen this before so I got worried that it was going to be major. I sure hope not. Thanks again.
    KW

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I don't remember on the Kaw 15 for sure but on the 17 twin there are two parts to the main jet. Both require a proper sized screwdriver to remove. The first part to come out actually is the main jet and the top part is the emulsion tube which has 8 holes in as I recall. I have found that air will clear the main jet but several of the emulsion tube ports remain plugged. If an individual is doing it on his own that's fine but if a customer is paying for a carb cleanup I refuse to do half of the job. I don't like comebacks.

Dutch

6. Restrorob

Don't think for a minute I do it that way at the shop Dutch, I don't like comebacks either. Some people have never been into a carb. or have the tools to strip one properly as we would, So a quick clean to try to get it going is better than no clean and being down for a couple weeks and paying a shop.

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Restro, I wasn't taking a shot at you by any means as I have done the same thing myself on customers of my own who want to get on the road in a hurry. I always explain to them that they may be back to see me if they don't want to take the extra time to do it right. At least they know the risks of the quick job.

Dutch

8. Restrorob

No problem Dutch, Guess I read it wrong. :hammerhead:

9. CarpenterKen

Hello all,
    Thanks for the help. I finally got to it yesterday and it's still not working right. I took the carb off and unscrewed the main jet and emulsion tube as you suggested, actually they weren't that dirty. Carb cleanered(?) and blew them out with air and gave everything a looksee and didn't find anything unusual. After reassembly I left the cover off so I could watch the carb. When it would run(not for long) it was "searching" badly, as it was about to die out I would notice a rather large spray of fuel from the main jet and felt a little bit of air pressure coming out of the carb. That doesn't seem right to me, shouldn't the carb be sucking air? Any other ideas? I'm probably going to bring it to the shop tomorrow as I'm stumped. Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know what happens.
    KW

10. CarpenterKen

I feel like a huge dope! The needle valve was clogged so there was very little fuel in the bowl. I cleaned it out and it's running like a champ. Thanks for the help. I'll try not to be so stupid next time.
    Ken