Scag/Kohler charging issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hirthracer81, May 4, 2010.

1. hirthracer81

hirthracer81 LawnSite Member

I have an older Scag SSZ, with a Kohler 23hp? i believe the tag is ripped in half.
    The problem im having is no charging, i have tested at the battery with it running and theere is no more voltage than if its not, also i have read a few older posts and i have tested the stator at the regulator, but this is where im kinda baffled, un-regulated at full throttle i have 30+ ac volts, regulated its only at about 24 ac volts, there is good battery power(12.6) at the center teminal.
    Now when i test the resistance between the two stator leads i get between .4-.6, does that mean the staor is bad if Kohler only calls for .2 at the most?
    Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Jay

2. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

24 volts ac at the stator plugged into the regulator would point me toward a bad stator. I always check them plugged in. The only thing left to check that I can see is the regulator ground. There should be a ground wire or strap on one of the regulator mounting screws. Make sure that is connected to the regulator and a good ground. If that checks out then I would say you have a bad stator.