Scag - Kohler Racing..Governor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, May 19, 2002.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I just bought a Scag with a 18HP Kohler Magnum on it and I think the Governor is broken. I had a Gravely a while back with a Kohler I had to fix because it kept racing. The GOV repairs on it cost me $400. It was a 1968 and I hope the new Kohlers are easier to fix. This is doing the same thing. Should I just buy a new engine? Is it worth fixing - and what should I pay for this repair?

Thanks,
    Nate

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What are your symptoms?

Surging high speed?

What are your RPM's set at?

Get a tach and install it, and find out. May just be a broken spring!

Where's Greenville?

3. onelegjohn

What are your symptoms? --------------------------------------------------Runs at low-low throttle...as soon as I turn the throttle up it takes off.

Surging high speed? --------------------------------------------------Yes - it just takes off and backfires

What are your RPM's set at? --------------------------------------------------Who knows.....

Get a tach and install it, and find out.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like as much work as fixing it

May just be a broken spring
    --------------------------------------------------I think it is more than that - all springs are there from what I can see

Where's Greenville?

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Installing a tach takes probably ten minutes and wont cost much ($20.00 and up)

5. onelegjohn

It is the Governor - how much will it cost me? Can some one tell me what to do given:

The governor IS shot.

Thanks,
    Nate