1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Leaving Uncut Blades of Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by faucet, Aug 26, 2006.

1. faucet

faucet LawnSite Member

Using a 36" Scag walk-behind and cutting thick, wide-bladed southern Floratam (St Augustine) grass, I'm getting alot of uncut individual blades of grass, mostly in the center of the line where the cutting blades meet, but also some stray blades of grass directly in the path of the cutting blades. This has forced me to cut twice for good results. I'm cutting in second gear at the highest setting with new, genuine SCAG blades just sharpened. I just serviced the machine - any ideas?
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

clean the mower deck, usually when you have alot of grass under the deck this will occur

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

did u check the pitch of the deck ?
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

The first thing I would check is the deck and make sure it's clean. Scrape off any grass that's stuck under there. Even a little in the wrong spot can cause a poor cut.

If it only happens a few lawns, maybe look at the type of grass you're cutting.

Is the front lip on your mower adjustable (up/down). Makes ure it's in the right spot for what you're doing.

Did this start to happen right after you shaprpened the blades? Blades not on upside down right? (I know, stupid question but you never know...)
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run the 36" Scag Hydro on St Augustine for many years and sometimes I see those single blades. Same story with our Snapper WB units. We double cut, sadly. I did cut the front yards with our 48" Scag rider for awhile and was much better, but the ZTR is new and the blade speed is many times faster than the WB. As one reply said you could put a washer under the height keys to change the deck pitch, I never tried anything like that.