1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Left Grass Blades Untouched

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by L.A.Lawns, Jul 20, 2005.

1. L.A.Lawns

L.A.Lawns LawnSite Member

While Cutting Grass Last Week My 36 Scag Wb Left Blades Of Grass Sticking Up . There Seemed To Be No Certain Pattern Just Here And There,every Once In Awhile In A Clump.granted The Grass Was Tall It Still Was Very Random. Trowing Grass To The Side Helped , But Mower Never Did This Before.now Even In Shorter Grass It Happens Sometimes. I Changed Blades ,and Tightened Belt But Nothing Seems To Help .any Help Would Be Appreciated.
  2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

Is the under side of the deck clean, Free from built up grass to decrease air flow.
  3. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

im having same problem w/my exmark, I clean underneath an after 1/2 a lawn it starts to clog underneath
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Ensure you are using Scag blades, I ran the Gator blades which were supposed to be for sacg and they left a little strip and I went to scag blades and eliminated the problem, then another mowing company asked me if I had that problem and I explained to them what they needed to do and they changed to scag blades and elimiated their problem. If you are running Scag blades, then make sure they are sharp. slow down, and also on certain types of fescues the blades have a tendancy to have the rotor wash effect, meaing, the air flow coming off the blades is blowing the grass down. If this seems to be the case then slightly reduce your engine speed and see if that helps. If none of this works, I am at a loss.
  5. L.A.Lawns

L.A.Lawns LawnSite Member

thanks for the input i'll try those things and see if there are some changes
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a city worker use one today. It was a turf tiger and it seemed like has been through a war. The engine sounded like a old briggs classic and it wasn't that old. They really give them a beating.
  7. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I had been hearing forever that SCAGs were the leaders in cutting tall, wet grass. Well, I used a 27hp 61" Turf Tiger for two days and wasn't overly impressed. It didn't do an overly bad job, just didn't live up to what I'd heard.

I was mowing a 4 acre yard that gets regularly mowed every 10 days. The grass was mainly bahiagrass and was wet with the night's dew. The SCAG blew out tons of clumps and we had to go very slow. The blades were sharp as of first thing that morning. The entire front yard (probably close to 3 acres) had to be mowed twice.

With my John Deere 7H17 walk behind (I don't know why) with only a 48" deck, I've been mowing it in roughly the same time, and I've ALWAYS been mowing first thing in the morning with the grass wet form dew. I think I'm sticking with Deere.
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you guys spend way too much time worrying about getting every single blade of grass.Dont sweat the little stuff, worry about the big picture.
    Every type and brand of mower out there is going to miss a few blades of grass, especially when cutting at taller heights and or wet ,thick lawns and at production speeds. Step back 20 ft and you will never see the difference.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You are right all mowers do it and all blades do it also. The Meg mo blades do not leave the lump and clumps talked about and stays sharper longer, lasting longer are just a few advantages. Then all you have to do is buy the knives at $3.95 each so the advantage of the Meg-Mo's are they are more cost effective in the long run.