Scag light kit? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jan 30, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Fall clean-ups were great money this year. But I seemed to run out of light before I ran out of energy. Thinking about a Scag light kit for my Wildcat. Anybody have any thoughts on these? How much are they?payup

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Dont hold me to it, but I think some where around $160-$180 , which I think is over rated in my book

wayne

3. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I have a light kit on my walker I can't tell you how much it has helped. I have a few commercial props that I can mow when ever so I go out in the summer sometimes about 5am to beat the heat. Even if you use them a few times to finish up last job for the day think of the drive time not having to come back. It has been a good investment for us.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

You can make your own for cheaper.:) Buy your own brackets and lights. Or you could make it yourself.:)

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Priced 1 last season 159,to high for me make you own.

6. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Make Your Own! I paid $22 for 2 lights. We drilled some holes and they are all mounted. I figure an extra $5 for for wire and a toggle switch. For less than $30, it is easy and really nice on the pocket book.

7. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Sounds like making my own should be easy. Where do you tie in for power? At the battery itself?

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the thread titled "Mower Lights" from 01-22-06. work_it posted some photos (post #9 I think) of lights installed on a Tiger. I'm going to try his method on mine. Thanks for the help...

Jim

9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Walker with the Walker light kit($125.00) and I have the Scag light kit on my sabre tooth($150.00). They both work very well, however the Scag could use a third light on the front to eliminate a slight shadow directly in front of the deck. It runs directly off the battery thru a fuse and toggle switch. The Walker lights go thru the ignition switch to a toggle switch. I frequently do large commercials at night, especially when its 95 degrees during the day.

10. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

I'm going to Walmart today and look at some options. I think I have a ATV light kit I bought a few years ago that I never used. That might work as well.