scag losing power backing up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bare31, May 7, 2012.

1. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger cub that's about 4 years old that until now has been flawless. I've noticed that the right wheel is really slow in reverse, forward is fine. I have adjusted the tracking in the past, when it would pull to one side when going forward. I think it was the same side. Could it be that the hydraulics are getting weak on that side and I need to adjust both sides to slow down the forward, to fix the reverse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I can't help you fix what is wrong because I lack hydraulic experience but I can tell you don't fix the good side to adjust for the bad, if the right side has a problem then that is what we need to address and if the left is fine then leave that alone, otherwise we're just going to end up with a bigger headache than when we started.

Now hopefully someone with hydraulic experience can tell us what needs to be done, but again if the left side is fine I'd leave that be.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

These pumps are bi-directional....making equal power in both directions...
    Sounds like the pump shaft lever has loosened...or something in the linkages is binding...

4. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

The linkages move freely from side to side. I will check the lever tomorrow. So your thinking that the lever may have moved on the shaft, right? I should be able to visually check this from side to side?

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

As was mentioned, you need to check out the rod ends, linkage ,etc. for wear, worn out mtg. holes and like that. Then follow the adj procedure in your owners manual, or download one from the Scag website.

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure the bolt or screw that attaches the lever to the pump shaft is tight..
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone once again for the great help. The bracket that mounts onto the pump shaft was loose, and in further checking I found the roll pin that goes thru the shaft and bracket was broke. Put a new pin in and away we go. That mower hasn't run that good in month's. Thanks again.

8. Busybee Lawns

Busybee Lawns LawnSite Member

this is a good way to test your hydro's on z turn. find a post railing or wall with a hard floor surface.( CEMENT,Road not grass or dirt
    put your scag right up to the wall as facing it. now with engine on push both levers foward now look to your left and right wheel they should be spining at the same speed. if one wheel spins slower than the other that is the weaker of the two.