Scag loss of power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dr9, Apr 12, 2004.

1. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag walk behind and it recently started losing power while pulling itself up small inclines. Belts are in good shape and appear to be tight. Any suggestions as to what this might be. Thanks.

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Please dont take this as negative but your description is too vague. There are many many things that could cause losing power up hills. Try to give some details if possible. Is the motor pulling down or working hard, does the motor keep zinging along like nothing is wrong are there any telltale noises?

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If the mower has been sitting all winter is it possiable that a mouse has got in the airfilter and built a nest and be restricting the air flow?? or maybe the filter is clogged from mulching leaves last fall. I would start there 1st

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My Skag lost a lot of power after I tossed it off the dock...

5. Gatorboy

Gatorboy LawnSite Member

Check your spark plugs. Maybe you are only running on one cylinder.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

dr9,
    does your engine have a fuel pump? It could be bad or main jet could have a bit of crud blocking it and that would cause a lean condition and loss of power. What engine do you have on your 48" scag?

Pete D.

7. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

It is a 17 hp kohler. It is back working like new, cleaned filters (air and fuel) tightened belts. Thanks for all of your help.