1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Mower Freedom vs. TC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C_Debo, Apr 10, 2013.

1. C_Debo

C_Debo LawnSite Member

Here's my dilemma. I am buying a mower for my personal yard, I have 2 acres, probably about an acre is grass. My local Scag dealer has a couple of models that I am trying to decide from, I believe both are left overs from last year:

--Scag Freedom Z 52" kaw motor fs600 $6199
    --Scag Tiger Cat 48" Briggs 26hp $6999

Where my issue is, is the Tiger Cat with the briggs worth the extra $800 over a kaw powered Freedom? I know I will probably never use either to their full ability with the grass I have, but I want something that will last me for many, many years no matter how much grass I want/need to cut. I've had my mind set on a kaw motor since I started my mower search but the price on the tiger cat has me thinking. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

IMO, the TC is a lot better machine than the FZ, but I am not too fond of the B&S Commercial Turf series engines. If it had a Kohler, Kawi, or best of all, a Vanguard engine, I'd say jump on the TC. Still, for homeonwer use and with proper care, the TC with the B&S CT engine would be fine and a much better choice overall.

Again, just my opinion.

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

TC is a lot more mower. The briggs will be good for 1,000 hrs or so. For a homeowner, you will be sick of looking at the mower before it will need to be replaced.