1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Mower PTO.....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jblawns123, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Scag walk behind, Kohler 12.5, manual start, electric pto.

The PTO clutch died and I replaced it, after that it worked fine... after about an hour of use now when I engage the PTO it stalls the engine. It is killing the engine spark, not drag.

I have tried the operator presence jumping and disconnecting and no different.

I did a search and saw someone with similar problem replaced the PTO switch and it fixed it. I am hoping that will do it.

Anyone else have ideas or same thing happen?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is a safety switch built into the PTO switch, It's possible the old clutch has burned the contacts inside. If you have jumped all other switches seems thats the only one left.
  3. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to post, it was the PTO switch. Just for future reference for people with the same problem.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I know this is an old thread but, we're always talking about using the search feature and I did. My problem is similar to this one and I'm hoping someone can help.
    My Scag wb blades disengaged today and I got them to engage a couple of times after that but now it won't do anything. I can engage the clutch switch (toggle switch) and nothing happens unless I let go of the operator presence controls, then the engine dies. Could the switch still be bad? Tony
  5. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I had this same problem on my 52 scag belt drive. I just ordered the new switch I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
  6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Short (jumper out) the toggle switch that activates the PTO to see if the PTO will engage the blades. Maybe the contacts at the toggle switch are fried and not making.
  7. PhatboyLandscapesTN

PhatboyLandscapesTN LawnSite Member

anyone have the wire diagram for a scag PTO SWITCH 430-810 or Scag 48787
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic