Scag mower won't turn off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gunner, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Gunner

Gunner LawnSite Member

I just got my Scag 48&quot; walk behind back from my dealer. When mowing in 2nd or 3rd gear, it would kind of lull and then it would lurch forward.<p>According to the dealer, when the mower was set up for sale, the gear shift was improperly installed (ie, instead of attaching to the top of the bracket at the transmission, it was attached to the bottom, which made it extremely hard to change gears and put the transmission in a bind. He attached gear shift correctly and told me this should not have caused any damage to the transmission. Was he full of BS or would this be true?<p>Also, I've had trouble turning the mower off. The key switch often won't kill the engine. Even if I leave it in gear and let go of the operator presence levers, it will continue to run. He looked at this also and told me it had been corrected. However, when I got through using the mower this afternoon, I could not kill the engine with the key switch nor by letting go of the operator presence levers. So if definitely looks like he was full of BS on this problem. I will be taking mower back in for this problem. Any suggestions/comments on how this problem can be corrected?<p>Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Sounds like it could be the ground on the kill switch.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if the tranny is in neutral, and the blade isn't engaged, it will continue to run. I'm assuming that you have these two devices engaged.<p>my on/off switch is dysfunctional also.<p>GEO

4. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I think I know what you mean about the lull and lurch while in gear. While mowing with my 48&quot; gear drive it slows down, speeds up and acts eratically. This started about a month ago. Only does it in 3rd and 5th. This mower is only a yr old so I wonder what could be causing this?