Scag Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, Mar 21, 2001.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Going to look at a used Scag 3-wheeler mower. It is about 5 years old and 61". I think it is a STHM model. Has about 900 hours on it. The guy is asking $1000.00 OBO for it. I don't know much about this mower. Any feedback. Good mower, bad mower, how does it cut, worth it. The guy says it needs a tuneup and has a slow leak in the back tire. Also, what is the deal with the 3 wheel configuration. Any benefits to it? Thanks for any info.
  2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got one that's starting on it's 4th season with 1200 hours and I wouldn't take $1000 for mine. If you don't buy it, I will. Probably not as good a cut as an Exmark or Dixie, but close. You'll like the outfront deck for getting under trees, etc. Lynn
  3. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Tazman, buy that machine, sounds like a great deal.
  4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

From the few replies you have so far it sounds like a good deal you have found.

In general, I would just like to remind you to pay attention when you check the engine, tranny or hydraulic fluids... If they look VERY new you may want to be cautious. Look for metal shavings in the oil or severe grittiness. Those would be signs of serious engine issues.

Good Luck, Keep us posted!

5. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

The only complaint that I can give you about these machines is that they have the tendancy to tear up the turf ALOT more than the other machines out there. I have seen crew's running them and they are probably the best bet for getting under Pine Tree's and Pin Oak's. I think if the machine were to at least last you the season that it would be money well spent.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

For 1000 bucks,you cant go wrong if it runs,and the deck,and hydro's are good.Id buy up before someone else does.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You have to make a 3 point turn with them just like you do with a ztr and you wont tear up any grass. The 3 wheelers are actually gentler on turf. I have used this mower and i like it alot! for a 1000 bucks youd be dumb not to buy it! Juts make sure its not one of the first scag 2 wheelers wich are belt driven!
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a great deal .....if he's had service else where go talk to the mechanic or maybe you can take it to your's ...but with only 900 hrs in 5 years that's not much ....she should be OK ....
  9. from what i have heard from my guys the big companies buy those over the ztr's because they like the trimming capabilities. like they say though, take it to your dealer and have them look. otherwise just try it out. cant go wrong for 1000 dollars. check the engine and whatever. ya know. and once you do get it check the oil constantly. a good friend of mine bought a used bunton a couple of years back for like 850 and blew the honda engine on it within the first week. so just watch out for that stuff. oh yeah also with the 3 wheeler i hear you get better traction if you get stuck. all you have to do is like raise the deck and it transfers weight or something.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Ihave to say that price brings up red flags.
    Shake spindles look for w or b smoke.
    See if he will let you mow about an hr at his place.
    good luck you may have a super deal.