1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Dec 16, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

This goes along with my other post about how i want a wright stander. If i were to get a wright stander i would sell my walkbehind i currently have. Its a 2002 scag 36" with the advantage deck its belt drive and has the bagger and mulchplate. It is around 70-75 hrs. I was just wondering how much you guys think the resale value is?
    Thanks
    jhawk71

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say about 1,000 less than you have in it.:blob3:

3. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I have about 3000 in it.
    mower-2700
    bagger-200
    mulch plate-80
    total-2980
    so grassdaddy that would mean it would be worth 2000.00 resale. If i can get someone who would want to buy it.

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say thats pretty close.call your dealer he would know ,he might even help you sell it.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I say with the low hrs and extras you should ask around 2100, sounds low but resale value drops 49% when your mower is used....Markus or Mark.....Marks Mowing Service

6. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

How much have you paid on it so far? In my experience you can always use a back up and a 36" mower should come in handy. Why are you replacing the mower? In short you hardly make out when you sale equipment, atleast I don't. If it makes you more money go for it.

Jon

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I wait to sell or trade in till BIG maintenance things start needing attention. For example, couple thousand hrs, needs 4 new tires, still using the original battery, spindles are just starting to get loose, using a little oil, hydros a little tired, etc. THATS when I sell mine, and believe it or not, I can still get $4-$5K for a ZTR in this condition, all because the buyer is usually a homeowner, in which all those problems will not surface for quite a few seasons for them.

I'd listen to others and KEEP your SCAG. Get a larger WB or that Stander you want and use the 36" for gates and small stuff.

Used I try to shoot for 1/2, and SO are a lot of other people. They will not even come out and look at it if its $1000 more than other used mowers. They won't see the "hardly used" part as a value.

8. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

jhawk71;

A dealer in my area priced me the exact same mower about a month ago. His had 100 hours on it, so said the hour meter that the previous owner had installed. The "asking price" was $1900. I was kind of interested in it. I am wondering what you thought about your mower. I agree with the other poster, the mower would be a good back up if you go with a stander. I hope this helps in some way..

9. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

jhawk71;

A dealer in my area priced me the exact same mower about a month ago. His had 100 hours on it, so said the hour meter that the previous owner had installed. The "asking price" was $1900. I was kind of interested in it. I am wondering what you thought about your mower. I agree with the other poster, the mower would be a good back up if you go with a stander. I hope this helps in some way..

10. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Great Dane dealer in your area demo the Super Surfer before you make a purchase! They are easier to use, faster, more comfortable, more efficient etc. I have been using them for years.