Scag Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landgator, Apr 27, 2006.

1. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I'm new to the lawn/landscaping scene. I'm looking for a good commercial mower, no bigger then a 48" deck. A friend recommended a Scag, Tiger Cub. I would like any comments that anyone has, before I make this investment. Thanks for the help.
  2. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Just did a demo with one that same size today.... awesome machine. if we buy, it will be a scag so far.
  3. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are a lot of good machines in that size. Encore Hustler Everide Scag and Dixie Chopper to name a few. Check out your dealer support that is probably more important than brand name.
  4. OGM_Mows

OGM_Mows LawnSite Member

I would go for an Exmark Lazer Z HP over the Tiger Cub. I had a Tiger Cub and was sorely disappointed. The machine just felt awkward. It was a little unstable on slopes, it tore up the ground on turns, the cut quality was just so-so, it was heavy, etc. When my Scag was in the shop (a wheel motor, a series of belts, and the deck raise bolt all broke within 180 hours) I was given a Lazer Z HP as a loaner. It was night and day. I could cut quicker, turn around faster without turf damage, the seat was more comfortable, it was more sure-footed, and the list goes on. I would save yourself the headaches and just go red and leave and only get orange for your juice. Exmark outsells other brands 2 to 1 for a reason.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Scag Tiger Cub and it cuts great. The Cub has 400hrs or so and all we have done is replace a few belts and do routine maintenance.
  6. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

I dont think u know what your talkling about u gotta learn how to cut first??
  7. dtrap420

dtrap420 LawnSite Member

I have a Cub with right around 110 hours on it now and have not had a single problem at all. The cut is perfect and the traction has allways been great for me. It is a compact mower and will bounce and slide a little compared to a bigger frame exmark mower but I still prefer my scags to exmark any day of the week. My Tiger will out cut any exmark on the market and run on any hill I want to take it on in any direction I want to go with no problem and never tears the turf if you know how to work the mower correctly. As for the weight they are a bit more but this helps with the ride at faster speeds. The extra weight helps keep the mower on the ground better than the lighter exmark which will bounce more and allow for an uneven cut in a bumpy area.
    Go with the Scag and you wont regret it.
  8. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cub 48 with 1,350 hrs on it and i love it...still. had a belt brake and some flat tires. great mower
  9. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I'll second that we got a Scag 48" and like it alot....regarding broken stuff if the Scag doesn't hold up then you are really going to be disappointed with the other brands. Scag is rock iron solid and mows just fine..