scag mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PPLC, Sep 20, 2004.

1. PPLC

PPLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I purchased a factory demo unit this year swzu52. I have problems starting it then it wants to bogg down and stull out. I was wondering if anyone else out there has in countered this problem as well? It has a kohler enigine.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it may be electrical problem (weak spark). Maybe carb, but I think more electric. I would first check plug. What color (black heavy soot = too rich , white or grey = too lean , brown = just rite) That will tell if carb problem or not. If brown, see is good spark is happening by removing plug, grounding it with plug wire attached and turn engine over with ignition on (preferably low lite in shop). Is it sparking like hell = good spark, Weak pidley spark = electric problem. Check for obviouse bad wire connections. If not have coil stator and resistors checked. Or just take it to the shop & payup payup payup

3. PPLC

PPLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info but, It has been to the shop twice for this problem. I mentioned to them that it might be something with the carb. They did find water in it once but it should not be a reoccurring problem like it has been. I believe i am on the third spark plug. Today with the choke on it would back fire occassionally. any more ideas?

4. happyface

happyface LawnSite Member
    from midwest

In regards to water in your fuel, Dad said years ago and i sure think he nailed
    it, if you go to your fuel station and there is a truck delivering fuel, go some-
    where else for fuel. What will happen is, as the fuel is dispensing into the
    storage tanks, it mixes up the water that is in the bottom of the tank. Now
    when you buy that fuel, you have a good chance of getting some of that
    water. It doesn't take much to create havic with your engine and the
    obvious problems associated with contaminated fuel. My 2 cents