1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Mulching Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you Scag users tried them yet? How well do they work? If so, did you use inconjunction with their new mulching kit or just straight discharge?

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

i have the new kit-it works very well-i am using doubles- the new eliminator blades on bottom and a standard gator blade on top and it grinds leaves into dust-i also made some flaps that hang down off the front of the advantage deck to reduce blowout-the flaps are made from aluminum door sweeps with rubber flaps.
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Have you had a chance to use that Advantage deck in any wet, heavy growth yet? How did it work? Any chance you could compare it to the Toro SFS? Thanks, Will
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr Ziffel: I responded to your last post stating that the Advantage deck clogs up pretty good when cutting in wet heavy grass. I believe it's due to the bolts underneath as well as all the baffling. It gets so clogged that it packs the deck completely down to where the blades are. Also I have found that the advantage deck gets quite a build-up underneath the deck cover (where the belts are). I understand that some will build up there, but I never have as much on my conventional as with my Advantage. It builds up so much under there that the belts are spinning thru it.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have the 52" Advantage deck on the hydreo walk-behind...I would think the deck designs would be the same as a ZTR
  5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Scraper, just the info I'm looking for! In case anyone is wondering, which I do myself sometimes, I can use this information NOT to make a decision, but to know WHAT to look for.

I would never buy a mower without demoing it and I tell the dealer that up front -- no demo, I'm down the road. What I'm doing now is looking at comments, making notes and then when it's demo time I can say. AHA, Scraper was right, or OH, this one isn't having that problem in these conditions.
  6. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

I have recently purchased a Scag 48" WB with a 17hp Kawasaki and recently there has been a lot of talk about the double blade set up.

My question's are:

(1) Is there a special bracket that is needed to hold them in the + position ?

(2) and, What seems to be the best set up for regular mowing ?

(3) Fall clean ups ?
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

NO, there is no bracket too hold them in the + position. Just put them on and torque them down as you ussually would and they will rarely slide out of the + position unless you gut something solid. Many are using a gator on top and a high lift on the bottom to cut thick grass.... for leaves the gators work best.