Scag mulching kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NBLL, Apr 5, 2003.

1. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

My wife picked up the mulching kit for our new 48" cub yesterday.
    The contents were a set of gator blades and a discharge plate. I told her to call them back because it should have dividers to go between the blades. The dealer researched, called back, and said the 52" cub, the tigers and the walkbehind kits all had dividers but the 48" cub kit doesn't come with them. First, I dont see how just putting a plate on the discharge will work. Tried this on an Exmark wb and it left a trail of grass on the discharge side. Second, this kit(3 gators and a plate) costs $100. Haven't priced gators for it yet but can't I probably buy the blades and make a plate for less than $50?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is the discharge blocking plate a flat plate?

Or does it curve back in like the radius of the blade path? Like the left side of this pic...

If its just a plate, that would be pretty easy to make, but if it involves bending to a certian radius, then although pricey, it would be hard to duplicate.

Are the blades "GATOR" or are they the Serrated "ELIMINATOR" blades? Like these...

3. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

By the time I finished working and got home last night I didnt take the time to even open it up and look. I assumed it was just a single flat disharge plate. Should have at least taken a peek before posting.:blush: I will have it in my hands at 4pm and will tell for sure. The salesperson said they were aligator blades:rolleyes: so i'm again assuming they are gators.....have to check that out too
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well the blades I pictured above are SCAGS own OEM ELIMINATOR mulching blades. I've never seen any like these. He may have just "generalized" them as "alliGATOR" blades. I'm sure it will work fine. If anything, if you want to go from mulching to discharge, you won't have to remove all those "kicker" plates that the larger decks' mulch kits come with! SCAG really likes lots of bolts on things. Just more things for grass to stick to and clog in my book!

Good Luck, and let us know what the kit contained.
  5. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

Well the mulch kit is a single plate but it is a curved plate that wraps around the discharge blade. The only problem is I think they gave me the wrong plate because it was too large of a radius to fit my deck. The dealer is checking part #s. The blades were gators and not the eliminators.

On my exmark wbs I used double blades gators on top and OEMs on the bottom. Does anyone have experience to share using doubles with the mulching kit?
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I just picked up a Cub and all I asked for was the plate. That is really all I have ever used. Don't get the Gator blades the they really suck. Very few people use them down here. Just get med. lift blades keep them sharp and if you leave a little trail then just blow it out or recut it a half inch higher and it will look great. I have purchased so many Scags in my life that I hit my dealer up for the mulch plate and a set of blades for free. But the Cub promo has very little margins so it is hard to do.

The plate fits inside and can be tricky to get holes to line up. Having said that, it isn't that hard. Just line up one bolt then slide the other into position. If that hole does not match up then it may be for the 52" deck.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am in the North, and we have pretty rapid growth around here. I have tried a mulch plate and gator type blades, and it is a joke. Just a line of junk on the discharge side. $100 is a waste of money in my opinon. Get or make a ocdc type of blocker and it will serve you much better then a block off plate. A true mulch kit works way better, but like you said may not be available for that machine. To me with my grass growth neither are of any value in my business. The mulch kit is supper when grass is growing very slow, or for light leaves.

Hope whatever you choose works for you though.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would email SCAG directly and ask them exactly what comes in the mulch package for your Cub, specifically the 48" deck.

From what their brochure and website say, there are full baffles with kicker plates and true ELIMINATOR blades. These blades are very similar to the Exmark mulching blade, but in addition have the serrated teeth.

Sounds like there may be a few different "kits" available. And your dealer just supplied "his" version of a makeshift mulch kit.

SCAG would NEVER offer a mulch kit with true aftermarket GATOR blades.

Either ask your dealer for more info. Have him show you his parts catalog and that they infact DON'T have this full kit for your deck.

You DO have the ADVANTAGE deck, right?
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have the older version 48" Super Z. I recently took the Trac-Vac off it and installed double blades (gators on top) and the block off plate. It has worked better than I thought it would so for now it's still on. As for leaves.........nah.........just blows them out all over the place. If you take off the proper amount it's not even leaving that dreaded trail........if I run through a thicker patch then it does leave a little......I just hit it again rea quick and it's gone.

So far I'm pleased...........just wish the old girl was a little faster!:cry: Hard getting off the Flatlander Chopper and then back on Bessie the old Scag.:sleeping:
  10. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

When I called my dealer, I talked to a different person than we dealt with before. He didn't think the gators were part of the kit. I mentioned gators before and the other guy must have thought I wanted them and included them with the purchase. I also looked at the deck in detail last night and I can see that too much lift may cause the grass to really pack in the top of the deck. I know the other day when mowing wet grass, when I would shut off the blades there was a thud of grass falling off of the deck when the blades stopped.:( I like the quality of cut with doubles on my other mower but they may not work on this deck and if they, may not work with the mulching kit. May have to go Shady's idea and make a OCDC because the main reason for the mulch kit was to keep grass from beds and lots. TLS it is an Advantage deck and I will take your advice to get the real answer as far as the kit. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Will find out more Monday. By the way, haven't priced blades verymuch but isn't $16 a little high for gators?