Scag not liked on this forum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that Scag is not liked to much on this forum. I see lots of post about Exmark and Hustler.

Everyone seems to be talking trash about other MFG's when the mowers are using the same parts (engines, clutches, Pumps, belts, tires, etc). It comes down to Factory support I think.

A funny thing happened today.
    I received my copy of Turf Mag and I saw an add for Hustler Super Z (even though its the first time I saw it it looked familiar). Then I took the photo into the garage and held it up beside my Scag Tiger....HHHMMMMM I wonder who copied who?

Jim

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You're kidding right? Not at all the same nor do they even look like it to me anyway. I for one don't have a problem with Scag though, neither Hustler for that matter :cool:

3. jimbo

We love scag walkbehinds they have been great machines for us.

But the turf tiger we got in 2000 was a dog .Wheel motors and pumps, deck drive shaft and gearbox all went out.

My understanding is while they were made by the same company as pumps on exmarks etc. Scag used inferior pumps then the ones on other brands.

I think scag has got on the ball lately and have improved the tigers a lot.

Buddy of mine got a tiger cub and i seen some of his lawns and the cut was on par with our exmarks and toro ztr's not quite as good as our dixie but the cut was impressive.
    He's put 300 400 hours and no pump and wheel motor problem's yet.
    So maybe scag is back on the ball i hope they are .

Those problems i mentioned with the full sized tiger have soured a lot of guys on scag ztr's.

4. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Jimbo

It's like Chevrolet vs Ford in my opinion. It's all in what you like and where you live. Where I'm from it's all TORO and a few Hustlers. But the way I look at it if you are making money with your Scag then keep at it Bro!:cool:

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

All I run here. Seems I fix friends Exmarks all the time. Never do anything but maintenance on my Scags.

6. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

jimbo

know what you mean. i use scags my self. bought a new 48 zt wb
    in place of a gravely 36 2 years ago. last season i bought a used scag 61 ztr i like them they are good machines. hey they stripe
    nicely.

7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I LOVE MY SCAGS!!!!!!! That is all that I run, have demoed exmark and toro and did not like them, they do not cut bahia grass worth a dang. But that is my 2 cents. I plan on buying another scag the begining of next year, looking at the sabre tooth diesel. I demoed one about 3 weeks ago and that thing is Bad!!:D

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler has been building hydraulic zero turn mowers since 1966, Scag built there first zero turn riders in the mid 90's......(the SSZ if I am not mistaken).
    Hustler invented the zero turn front mount mower in 1964 (belt drive)
    I have nothing bad to say about Scag, I sold them at 1 point in my career, and I sold a ton of them........(Spain Equipment company, Charlotte N.C.) 90% of the Scags sold west of Raliegh North Carolina came out of the store I sold in. This was back in the 90's when hydro wb's and 3 wheel riders were the best thing....lol ......how times have changed.....

Later
    Pj

9. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

We use Scag contently. Local Scag dealer treats us well. Down time can often be avoided by just listening to a mower. They do talk you know. Any mower often gives warning sounds to listen for that tell you something is due to go wrong in a few days. Down time should not be common. Now the Walker brand rider and warning signs? "Forgget-abbout-itt" They do have a place though, like leaves or where grass must be caught. Warning signs? They tell you when the catchers full! Nice productive machine that come at a cost.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I like my scag walkbehinds, though i do not think they cut quite as well as my exmark walkbehind. My Turf Tiger is another story. Like Odin said, plus more problems. It cuts pretty nice, stripes nice, but clumps pretty bad and does not through the grass all that far away from the machine. I do not have advantage decks, so maybe their performance would excell mine. I have tried the Hustler Z, Lazer, and Chopper, and I think all three cut cleaner, and through the grass further then my standard deck Tiger.

My Tiger currently is just over two years old, and continues to leak gas into the oil, and just about everything but a new motor has been tried to correct it. It also has some quirky starting problems that grow worse. Time to by a new mower, and I hate to leave my dealer.... Decisions!

Jay