1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag not up to speed-Please Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scagmower48, May 29, 2008.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys:

I was mowing my last account last night with my ~15 years old belt driven 48inch scag walk behind with a 14 Kohler Command when I noticed my mower seemed to be operating at a lower than usual RPM and was having difficulty getting through the grass. The motor runs great. It starts on the first pull, does not use oil, and doesn't smoke. There are also newer belts on the mower. When the mowing deck is off the engine seems to be operating at a correct RPM, but when the deck is enaged, the mower does not have enough RPM and power to power the deck. Fourth gear also seems slower than usual. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I have to mow with this tommorrow.

Air filter is clean, newer spark plug and fuel filter.
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold my Scag 36 belt WB. Had it for almost 13 years. Great machines.

You might want to check and make sure your throttle linkage is not binding and is moving without any restrictions to the full open position.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Also, check the govener spring. Sometimes they come apart or fall out. If you need to, try moving it another slot to the end of the lever.
  4. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

The spring is what I plan on moving this morning to another slot.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas