Scag OEM Blades huge $$$$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just went to the dealer to grab 3 high lift blades and the bill was $69.:confused: Does that sound right? $23 a blade? They are really wide like 3 inches wide. The OEM number is 481710. Maybe these are those special marbane blades I don't know. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Mow-More has that blade fro $7.75 Or if you buy 10 they're $7.25ea.

I'd think if they were the tempered blade they'd have a different number.

Dave

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

"Replaces O.E.M. #48184 & 481710 High Lift."

Difference between "Original OEM" and "Replaces OEM" . So.. they do not have that blade at that price, they have a "OEM replacement" blade at that price.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I paid $78 at Lesco for my Hi Lift blades on my ferris. They were cross referenced w/ a Scag.

5. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

500 hours on a pair? Jeez I have a long way to go!!

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a bunch of Scag blades stacked up in the corner of the shop. I've been using J-Thomas 3" high lifts since earlier this year and the cut has been crisper. I find myself resharpening the J-Thomas blades instead of grabbing a presharpened set of oem high lifts. They are about $12 each, I have been using the same set all year. No the metal is not hardly as good but as many rocks as I pick up on commercial work I don't want $23 dollar blades. Not saying they are the best but they are a decent blade with a great cut. You really need to buy enough to make shipping worth it, maybe two sets or other product. Just my 2 cents. I'll be buying more next Spring, no more oem. Oh year I think the last time me dealer charged me about $60 for an oem set.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag blades cost around $28 this week. Got me thinking about changing even though I get a year use out of them.

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I have used the OEM and the J thomas brand. I usually run a set of blades until the lift is held on by only an inch or two of metal. What I have noticed is the Scag lift doesn't wear away as quick as the J thomas brand. A benefit of the J thomas blades is they sharpen alot faster due to the softer metal. The draw back of the J thomas blade is the edge dulls quicker and bends easy if you hit something.

What I have decided on blades is for spring and fall clean ups use the J thomas blades, also ruff yards or overgrown areas you should be brush hogging. I use the Scag's during normal mowing during the season.

9. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you get the OEM Scag Marbane blades for a 61" deck? I have been using the Oregon blades, which were between $12-$15 per blade, I believe.