Scag Or Cub Cadet? Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Piscitelli Landscape, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Piscitelli Landscape

Piscitelli Landscape LawnSite Member

I Have Been In The Business For Seven Years And Got Rid Of My Lawn Maintenance Two Years Ago, And Went Full Installation I Am Re-opening My Maintenance Program This Year. I Orginally Started With Encore Mowers Which Suck!!!!!! And Accidently Fell Into A Cubcadet M-60 Tank One Year And Loved It It Cut Great And Fast In Almost Any Condition. And That Is What I First Looked At When I Decided To Go Back Into It, However One Of My Suppliers Sells Scags And Came Within 1000 Dollars Of Cubs Total Price On Two Riders On 60 Or 61 And A 48. Cum Will Give Me A 60 And A 48 For 1000 Less Than Scags 61 And 48. The 1000 Isnt The Issue. I Was Thrilled With Cub When I Left Off But We All Know Scag Is A Great Mower. What Should I Do I Need Input Lots Of It Please Post. What Are The Pros And Cons Of Scag And Cub. I Am Afriad I Will Get The Scag And Not Be Happy With Them.but If I Dont Am I Sacrificing Something????

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Please do yourself a favor and dont get a scag. There quality of cut is one of the worst in the business. Others will come in here and disagree with me and other will agree. We have a scag right now and have gotten great deals on them in the past for one reason or another and not a single one of them cut worth a @$%#^. You already have experiance with the Cub Tank which IMO is a very well built machine and you liked the one you had before plus its a $1000 cheaper. I say go with the Cub Tank.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ok, this does not pertain directly to the contect of the guys post, but rather the way in which it is typed. How in the heck does somebody type a whole post and capitalize the first letter of every word? Besides making the post difficult to read, it seems like it would take a rather long time to cap. every word.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I can't comment on the Scag. Never used one. They don't exist here.
    But I do have a 60" Lesco Z-Two, which is the same as the Cub M-60 TANK.
    To say the least, I feel the same way about mine as you did yours.
    They have only improved since you had one.

In addition, you may not have caught on to it yet, but the little 48" Cubs are now equipped with a 23hp Kawasaki instead of the little 19hp on the Scag.

Personally, I'd take the Cubs and spend the extra $1,000 on blowers/trimmers/edgers/hedgers/whatever.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I THINK THAT HAPPENS IF YOU TYPE THE WHOLE THING WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON. BUT I'M NOT SURE. SO WE ARE ABOUT TO FIND OUT I GUESS.... (EDIT) NOPE MAYBE IT HAS TO BE SO MANY WORDS? I DUNNO?

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would save the $1000 and go with the Cub. The Scags are good too but they don't have anything that the Cubs don't.

7. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I would go with the SCAG, I have six at the moment. Quality of the cut is like any other machine and simply knowing how to set the machine up for the type of grass you are cutting. If you can, demo them both.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you keep buying a machine that according to you can't cut worth a @$%#^?

As for the original poster, we purchased a SCAG TT w/ 61" deck and 29 EFI/LC kawi. Any specific questions about it feel free to ask. And what engine sizes are you comparing with the deck sizes, that could be a big difference in your pricing. The one thing I can tell you about my Scag is its ability to hold a hill. That is one of the main reasons why I purchased that over the TORO...which we were comparing it too at that time. I can't comment on the Cub b/c I've never used/demoed.

9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I almost purchased the cub tank but the only reason i did not is because of the collection system.:waving:

10. Piscitelli Landscape

Piscitelli Landscape LawnSite Member

FOR SOME REASON WHEN I SENT IT THROUGH THE IT PUBLISHED THE POST LIKE THAT[FIRST LETTER CAPITIZED] I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS