Scag Or Cub Cadet?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Benz2328, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

I have been in the Landscaping business for 3 years... I started with a Cub Cadet RZT50 ... I need to upgrade since this is no commercial mower... right now I have about 25 customers.. I make about $1400 a month profit from them... I have looked at some new mowers but it feels like im buying a car since they are so expensive!

THis is what i was quoted tell me what you think

Scag wildcat 52 inch 25 kaw $9350.00 + 724.63tax =$10,074
    Scag Tiger cub $ 7595+588.61tax= $8183.61

Cub cadet Tank was having a special for $6199.00 + tax

what is the best mower for me, what would you recommend and are these good deals???:dizzy:

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

HELLO first do you have a walk behind mower ?
    I have 48 inch tank 800 hours never in the shop for repairs , been good to me and me good to it.. I also have walk behind 48 for harder spots for mowing.. I BELIVE that you might be alright with a tank and a nice 48 walk behind for the same price as 1 scag wildcat .... most people on this site dont like the tank but never used one either , they also belive one $400 weed eater will last longer then 6 weed eaters with out the big name... I USE what works for me ..... good luck

3. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

I've been looking at the scag wildcat. A dealer in md said the wildcat would be $8,100. I will be going to the dealer this week to work up some kind of deal.

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

The TANK's run hard and strong for a long time. My 54 tank still running....good price and most important make sure you have a great dealer to go back to for repairs and stuff.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I was a Cub dealer , but no more. Do not even think about getting a Cub Tank. While they are a pretty good mower and have a good cut, the quality control is now very bad at the factory. Your new Tank WILL have problems. No telling what will fall off or go out of adjustment.
    You will probably have to return it for repairs/adjustments several times in the first 100 hours. I don't think you want to be faced with that downtime.

6. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

what mower would you call a good one looking for one that is about 52 inch with about a 25 kaw that baggs great..I was think ferris but dont know yet .
    Thanks *trucewhiteflag*

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

with that said, what if your a veteran mechanic and could take it apart and reassemble without a problem? I've serviced just about every single car out there in my 30+ years doing auto repair. Is the only reason your saying this about the Cub because most can't fix them their self? I have a CC dealer very close. I might find a good deal there. I've seen deals in the past, of course this was when I wasn't in the market. If the only reason for NOT getting a CC would be that they fall apart due to poor QC, I could live with that and just check every bolt on it. Make any adjustments needed and I should be fine. IF I were to get one. :)

8. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I love the **** out of my tank, it runs strong and has never ever let me down. My dealer is fantastic and if I ever need him he is there for me. Not that I have needed him much, but when times have been tough he has been there to get me through with whatever I needed. Let me emphasize this point, it is all about dealer support. Don't try and low ball them, pay their price and be happy with it because in the end all your doing is costing yourself and your business more money. The tank is a phenomenal piece of equipment from top to bottom and I'd put it against anything out there, even the beloved scag.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

cap, how is the cut? Does it stripe good? Does it mulch good? thanks

10. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

I'm starting to like the cub cadet, that last comment was strong... I was planning on buying a scag but wow...

Still waiting to hear from others