scag or deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dapozer, Jan 18, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Narrowed down to the jd or scag in a 36 wb belt drive. They are within $200 of each other. What one would be best as for mowing kbg in colorado, maintenance and parts availibilty? I am leaning toward the scag but your opinions will be heard loud and clear. I know that I should demo them but I have limited time to learn this machine, set it up in the trailer, and get ready for spring. I am working FT as a fertilizer sales manager and want to go PT with eve lawn maint.

2. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

Go Scag. I think Deere is still using a "timed deck" and if so much more maintenance.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Timed deck, you mean the blades will hit if not timed properly? I would go with the scag, seems to be the "better built" of the two.
  4. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I would go with the SCAG, I have seven (5 WBs and 2 ZTRs), never had any real problems. :waving:
  5. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag ALL the way!!!!!!!! Great mowers with a great cut and great overall performance!!!!!!!
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Scags wb's are alright. However the G15 by John Deere is a good wb. Well built, leave a decent cut, easy to use. Demo both if you can. I personally would buy the G15.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run 2 scag wb we are pleased always wanted to run a jdeere wb.
  8. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hd45 hydro JD and yes the time cog belts if not tight are a pain but i run it myself. As far as the Scag, I ran one one fall for two months a friend had and other than too low of handle bars it was OK. I'd go with the Scag because of the funky JD deck. It's the only mower they need to improve.
  9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

On this go scag