Scag or Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Mar 14, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I am a John Deere guy, but I got a flier through the mail yesterday about the Scag. Awesome looking machine if I may say so. now I know the answer's I get will probably be from Scag or Deere owners that are attached to their machine, but what do you find better and why? Later I will be going for for first Z. Looking at John Deere but would like opinion's.

Thanks

Steve

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I also have been a long time deere guy. The only good thing deere has going is the 7-iron deck which is sweet. But the scag has alot more good features. In my opion though if you can get an examrk go that way. By far the best cut i have seen. i just traded in 2 walkbehinds for a new exmark 48" TTHP today and love it. Good luck though

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I am JD thru and thru - I have seen scag at a dealer that is about 35 miles away - my JD dealer is 2 miles. I get great service at JD.

The scags I saw were very very well built, as are the JD's, so I guess I would get either one, but the determining factor would be dealer support, and service.

My JD dealer has parts on hand, and in those rare instances they do not, they loan a mower, and have the part by 10:30 the next morning, and usually have the mower out by 12:00

Nice thing about JD is it is rare that I even have to take one into the shop - I run diesel 455's and 332, - Water cooled - need to change injectors every 3000 hrs, and water pumps go out at about 2500 hrs. - So now I just take them in at 2500 hrs and put a new water pump on and injectors -

Thanks, Brad ---- Please visit our sponsor forum Flex-Deck, and the other sponsor forums as well - The companies in the sponsor forum section on the home page do support this site.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

JD doesn't have alot to offer in the commercial world :rolleyes:
    Scag makes a super w/b but their riders do not seem to have the same magic about them. Can you get anything else like eXmark there?

5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Scag here.
    Deere has always lagged behind in the commercial market. Seem like they copy another manufacturer or buy a lawn mower and spray green paint on it and call it a Deere. The new Z's are built by Deere with the help of Great Dane engineers which Deere bought out last year. The newer Deere Z's look to be good mowers, still question some things they do on their new Z's like putting shrouding around the engine, when one bad mistake into a tree could bend the shrouding around the engine bay fairly easily. The scag i have has a nice beefy back end and is easy to access. The new Scag line of Z's are better than ever, with 16CC pumps on the Turf Tigers and a lower center of gravity than the older ones, plenty of engine choices and also built tough with great reliablity.
    Yes Deere has been around alot longer than Scag, but if your choices are between Deere and Scag go with the Scag you will be much happier, I think, others may disagree. If its between Scag, Toro, Exmark etc do some research and DEMO the machines yourself to see which one suits you the best.
    Matt

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Just demo both - then if you really want to make the machine efficient we can get you a flex-deck and you will be the most efficient mower in your area.

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I tried both,both with 27lc/61".now I'm fairly happy with my scag w/b,but now that jd ztr was easy to operate,I actually liked how it ran better than turftiger.But,I'm not sold on those stamped decks.When jd offers a fab dec(kubota offers both)I MIGHT consider one.You need to demo both,THEN RUN OUT AND BUY A HUSTLER SUPER Z,they ride better,run much faster, and cost 7700 for a 25/60 and hold more fuel,and have best warrenty that I know of.

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

;) Ive seen the JDs, our local exmark dealer is a big JD dealership and pushes the JDs over his exmarks, IMPO JD don't come close to the cut of the exmark, I have a 52 Scag Hydro i bought last season and i think it cuts better than the exmark walks, but Scag riders don't compare to the big reds....i demoed exmark, and scag and took both machines home, sharpened blades and the scag to me outcut the exmark but both have a verynice cut, i have a friend who runs a JD walk beltdrive its ok but not in the same league as the scags,exmarks, or toros.......JMO Marks Mowing Service

business pictures 051.jpg

9. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Bhb, I was just wanting to know if you have ever ran a scag rider, besides the one that got that you never rebuilt. Don't knock it until you try it.I have all scags and have had great results with them, I am going to buy another one very shortly.

20thscaglogo.gif

10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

;) Yes ive ran the Scag riders 2 both 52TT and i just couldn't get the quality of cut as the Exmarks,and Toros gave, I have several buddys who run nothing but Scag's and there very happy with them JMPO.......Marks Mowing Service