Scag Or Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocalalawns, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

I currently have a scag 36" hydro and am looking into upgrading to a ZTR. It's between the scag tigercub 48" with 19hp kawi or a Dixie Chopper classic 50" with the generac engine. Can anyone tell me which is gone to give the best cut with bahia grass? Also which it more reliable and user repair friendly? They are the same price, I'm leaning toward the scag as I'm familiar with there product. On the scag is there any operator control discharge chutes available......tks
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience with Dixie chopper is that they tend to do everything as simple as possible. The 60 " supreme that I bought last spring has performed better than I thought possible. It cuts well in wet and dry grass, and handles hills well. I think that if you demo both mowers, you'll buy the Dixie.
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

The only experience with Dixie I have is my dealer sells both dixie and Scag. I demoed a Dixie when i was looking at mowers. And when I got on the Scag I had no problem making my choice to bye my 52 Wildcat. To me there was no comparison Scag is awsome machine. :usflag:
  4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Let me tell you this.

1. If you want a relatively cheap mower with regular duty parts and goes fast and leaves and ok cut, DC is for you. (Cheap)-Cheaply Priced not Cheaply made.

2.If you want and extreme heavy duty mower available to stand up to the utmost harsh conditions that leaves a supurb cut and thick as a tank deck, but are a little over priced then Scag is for you.

I myself took Scag when wondering about these two. I now have a Turf Tiger and a Wildcat.
  5. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Tough Hillary or McCain....
  6. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

The wildcat and the Tiger hold hills and slopes like glue and cut great! The DC not so good on either hills or cut. I had DC and went with Scag.
  7. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

I am a huge fan of Scag equipment. They have great customer support and they are an excellent high quality mower choice. They tend to thin out your wallet a little more than some other competitors may, but remember, you get what you pay for.
  8. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

He's right...every other competitor was using Dixies when I got in the game because we have a local DC & John Deere dealer (before they made decent ZTRs)...I went with Exmarks fast to be able to stand out a little and because we have tons of hills...I saw what the Dixie Chopper really was capable of-which was borderline killing someone.

Most of the guys had problems with reverse traction going down hills. Eeeeeek
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Never had a dixie but Have three tigers of different sizes. Highly recommend them.
  10. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

Are the tiger cubs just as good?