Scag or Dixon 36wb?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 5, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Should I go with a Scag 36wb or a Dixon? The Scag's look tougher to me and I see many more folks using them than dixon. I was also wondering if I should go with a belt drive for like $2,000 or with a hydro for around $3,000? I have a very limited budjet and will have to finance most of either purchase if I can get approved that is, so I need to know what is the best way to go.
    It looks like the hydros are much easier to change speeds. What do u guys say?

2. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hydro is way easier if you have tight areas and they are certainly easier to change speeds. Scag hands down over the dixon. I would look into a toro or exmark with something other than pistol grips.

The Q36 you were looking at before would be a good step up from your 21 and it won't brake the bank. They cut very well and are very manuverable.

-TAZ

3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Exmark does make a nice machine. Try and swing the extra grand today, it will pay dividends in the future. Whatever machine you decide on, make sure this is a local dealer that can service your machine for warrantee work and that they will be able to provide YOU service in a timely manner. Nothing will hurt more than to have a machine down for an extended period of time.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Neither-get the Quick 36

5. irishsoul

irishsoul LawnSite Member
    from georgia

The Quick 36 is money better spent!

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I like my Scag. However, I've never used anybody elses WB, so my opinion is only valid if you are looking for somebody who has either pushed or had a lawn tractor for reference.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The scag 36 will run around low 4ks,get the hydro if you buy.

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

scag hydro

9. Cutman007

Cutman007 LawnSite Member

I still buy pistol grip belt Dr WB'S..there usually about $1,500-$2,000 less than hydros. I have Scags, Xmarks and Snappers and they all run great.

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD