SCAG or DIXON?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by purelake, May 19, 2008.

1. purelake

purelake LawnSite Member

My husband is starting up a mowing business in our area. We are having a hard time deciding between a SCAG Tiger Cub 48" deck or the Dixon Black Bear with a 44" deck.

The SCAG is $6500 and the Dixon about $5800. Both are about the same distance away and repairs are done on site. I think both warranties were the same.

We were also considering a Dixie Chopper with I believe a 50" deck for $6,500.
    I really like the warranty of the Dixie and have read lots of good thing about it, but the only dealer near us is about 40 miles away.

We have looked at Gravely, John Deere, Cub Cadet and discarded all.

Any imput would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The Dixon would get into more gates since it's a 44".

3. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

i would go scag between the two ..... definitely not a dixie chopper....

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I absolutely love my scag tiger cub. You are getting a much better mower for the money. I really would not even consider dixie or dixon they don't leave a nice finished cut like the scag does. The scag is tough as nails as well.

5. KS_Grasscutter

Have you ever ran a Dixon? Don't you think that your a little young, and maybe inexperienced, to be making statements like that? This lawn was cut with my 50" Dixon.
    [​IMG]

I will agree with you, sorta, on the Dixie Choppers. The old style cut GREAT (check out Eric ELM's web site, and look for his posts on here, a true LCO legend). The new style decks seem to not cut as well, from what I have noticed around here. Of course that could be just that the guys here running them don't care enough to adjust the deck.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got a scag tiger cub with 1300 hours on it....built like a tank....actually I have 2 scag mowers now....added another new wildcat this year to take some of the load of the tiger cub

wayne

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

id go w/ the scag over the dixon in a heartbeat. the dixons arent built nearly as tough as the scag. theyve turned into a lighter duty/residential grade mower over the years. make sure w/e you buy has good dealer support. any dealer is going to talk nice to sell a mower, but are they going to stand behind it and have your back when something happens? stay away from the dixie, theyre a good mower but 40 miles is a loooooong way to travel for the little things that will break.

personaly id go w/ the scag and forget dealer support in this case though. dixons arent the tough machines built for everday use like the scag.

8. KS_Grasscutter

Have you ever ran a Dixon?

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

nope, i dont run mowers w/ plastic decks. the only dixons ive ever seen are built like CRAP. i need something tough, not a residential mower.

10. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag or DC gets my vote